Forums

Full Version: My dad and purple heart?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

I believe that many of you read the excerpt posted under this section a few days ago regarding my father. One of the excerpts dealt with my father being injured in the line of duty and being sent to a field hospital.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much detail in the report, so at this moment I do not know much. However, when I was discussing this with my husband, brother-in-law and sister-in-law this afternoon, my husband reminded me of a conversation many, many years ago at the house of an old army buddy of my dads. It was so long ago that I had forgotten it, but my hubby did not.

He said, remember when Ira was telling us about your dad running courier on his motorcycle? Ira had told us that he was injured from a mortar shell. Oh my God, I had forgotten this! :o

Now I am wondering, why I did not see his name in the docs I have for Awards, Decorations, etc. His name was not mentioned for a purple heart. Unfortunately Ira is no longer here, but clearly remembered my dad's injury.

I guess I am hoping to find out more when I receive the morning reports, etc. from NARA in St Louis. I hope to rectify this. Don't know if I can... :unsure:

Now I am wondering, why I did not see his name in the docs

What docs? Operational Reports? Do you have the General Orders for his unit?

Steve

I have the official docs from the Army called Honors. These lists contain the men from officers to enlisted who received Awards, Decorations and Honors. The lists contain the name of the men, their rank, the award, and the date they received them. This includes purple hearts, a raise in rank, bronze stars, etc.

I have gone through dozens and dozens and dozens of pages, but have not run across his name in these rosters.

Hmm. Do you have copies of the Orders from his unit? Since his unit commander could issue the PH, then there should be an order(like a memo) that states this soldier received the PH for action on this date and place(which is usually blanked out for security). These could be seperate from the Ops Reports and After-Action Reports. They may even be archived at a different location.

Steve

Thanks Steve. That may be true. I do not have ALL the docs yet, meaning the ones from St. Louis. I will try and find out more info. I know that sometimes things get left off, or things are printed with errors/omissions. Wouldn't be the first time. Will keep all posted on the situation.