Rare color film - Iwo Jima

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11137 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 19 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

Rare color film - Iwo Jima

Indeed, I had not seen this before. I will be curious to see if Todd has seen this one.
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon

There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Marion Chard

#2 CaptO

CaptO

Resident Marine

• Members
  • 1322 posts
  • Interests:-Exploring Okinawa with the family
    -Model Rockets with the boys (Not in Okinawa)
    -Shooting (Not in Okinawa outside of military, of course)
    -1/35 scale plastic modeling - mainly German WWII. You can't deny they had the coolest gear! Although they weren't as cool when used against you.
    -World War II (since I was in grade school)

Posted 20 July 2012 - 05:44 AM

Nope I hadn't seen it although it was very good. I do want to make on e correction. There are no "Marine medics". Or medical support (and chaplain for that matter) comes from the Navy. So there were Corpsmen there amongst the Marines in many cases dying to save their Marines. As Marines were are obliged to give Navy personnel a ration of shit just for not being Marines, but we have a huge spot in our hearts for them as we recall the service that they have done for us in battle through the years.

I would like to add a response to the "we took Iwo as a fighter base" notion, but have to run to a meeting now. Perhaps I can get to it later.
Maj Todd O.
トッド オブレオン
USMC
Grandson of LTC John O'Brien, CO 2832nd Bn, 540th

(No USMC endorsement of opinions implied)

#3 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11137 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 20 July 2012 - 09:25 AM

Funny, your correction was also pointed out by someone else who viewed the film on YouTube. I knew you'd catch that too.
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#4 Christoph

Christoph

Captain

• Members
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:History, dragonflies, photography, my website, the DLRG (German lifesaving society), swimming, cycling

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:31 PM

It is made from the same material as "To the Shores of Iwo Jima", isn't it?

Christoph

#5 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11137 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

I'm sure it is. After I see so many films and clips, it all starts to blur in my mind. But I certainly know when I haven't seen something, and am always delightfully surprised.
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard