1254th Engineers

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11129 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

Attached File The Bailey Bridge.pdf 18.44K 88 downloads
Starting this topic for a new member. Am posting his letter and my initial reply. Already found some info and will post it here too, shortly...

Hello,
I was researching Gilbert M. Bush, Co. H, 2nd Battalion, 313th Regiment, 79th Infantry. I found correspondance on your web site. I wanted to ask a question about a Bailey Bridge that appears in a photograph of my father-in-law (also 313th - taken sometime between 1944 and 1945 in the European Theatre. The bridge has a sign on it that says, "CATFISH BUILT THIS." I've learned that CATFISH was a name for the 1254th Engineer Combat Battalion. There is a large circular sign about the Corp of Engineers sign that has the number "40" on it. I am wondering if the number "40" refers to the bridge itself or if it is a highway sign. My interest is to identify where this particular bridge was located.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Ken Brown
Linden, Michigan

Hello Ken:

Nice to chat with you.

First off, "40" refers to the load bearing of a bridge. Most common types which you'll run by are "40" and "70". Please see attachment for further clarification.

I will start a topic on the forum, and you can join in. I will post whatever I find on it, so you and everyone can benefit from the research.

Warmly,
Marion
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon

There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Marion Chard

#2 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11129 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:41 PM

Yes, they were referred to as Catfish.

History of the 1254th Engineer Combat Battalion

http://www.xixcorps....s_(ND)_ENGR.htm

http://www.fallennot...thADhistory.htm
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#3 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11129 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:56 PM

An obit for one of the engineers from this unit

Here's another link to the 8th Armored, for the 1254th were attached to this division.

http://www.vetfriend.../?member=726510

They were also attached to the 95th Inf Div

http://www.twofortyforth.org/9thto.htm

Here's another obit - John (Jack) Robert Gulbranson - scroll three down...
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#4 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11129 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

Hello Marion,

Thanks for the bridge information. I sure won't be looking for "route 40" all over Europe!
I've attached two images, the catfish image is a map of the area of operation for the 1254th ECB. The second is the bridge in question. The men on the bridge are from H company, 2nd Battalion, 313th Regiment, 79th Infantry Division. Time and place are unknown other than sometime between 1944 and 1945.
Thanks for all your help.

Ken Brown
Linden, Michigan

================

Hello Ken:

Nice to chat with you.

First off, "40" refers to the load bearing of a bridge. Most common types which you'll run by are "40" and "70". Please see attachment for further clarification.

I will start a topic on the forum, and you can join in. I will post whatever I find on it, so you and everyone can benefit from the research.

Warmly,
Marion
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#5 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11129 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

Hello Marion,

Thanks for the bridge information. I sure won't be looking for "route 40" all over Europe!
I've attached two images, the catfish image is a map of the area of operation for the 1254th ECB. The second is the bridge in question. The men on the bridge are from H company, 2nd Battalion, 313th Regiment, 79th Infantry Division. Time and place are unknown other than sometime between 1944 and 1945.
Thanks for all your help.

Ken Brown
Linden, Michigan

Attached Thumbnails

• catfish bridge.jpg
  • catfish1.jpg

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#6 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11129 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

Ken, make sure you get in touch with "angelabchristian" on our forum. She's the one who posted all the info on her father, Gilbert, whom you speak of above. If you are logged in, simply click on her username, and send her a PM. I know she is looking forward to talking with you.
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard