Appomattox Signing Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 civilwargal

civilwargal

Major

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:The American Civil War, reading, travel, cooking.

Posted 08 April 2011 - 05:20 PM

Saturday is the anniversary of the Surrender of Appomatox.  (That is if the Government is still up in running-otherwise the re-enactors will have to go home)
Here is a short synopsis of what happened that day. The signing took place in Wilmer Macleans house and the Union Generals picked the place clean for souvenirs.  Maclean had moved there when a shell destroyed his kitchen at his house at Manasses.  It was said that the war started in his kitchen and ended in his living room.

http://www.eyewitnes...om/appomatx.htm
"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" Groucho Marx

#2 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11308 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 08 April 2011 - 09:00 PM

View Postcivilwargal, on 08 April 2011 - 05:20 PM, said:

It was said that the war started in his kitchen and ended in his living room.

http://www.eyewitnes...om/appomatx.htm

I always loved that fact. Think of the odds! I call that one of those, fun things to know and tell, items.
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon

There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Marion Chard

#3 civilwargal

civilwargal

Major

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 04:52 PM

View PostWalt, on 08 April 2011 - 09:00 PM, said:

I always loved that fact. Think of the odds! I call that one of those, fun things to know and tell, items.

I had a teacher that called it "Cocktail Party fodder". It's a fun fact that you can pull out when things are dull at a party.
George Armstrong Custer wound up with the small table that the surrender was drafted on.
"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" Groucho Marx

#4 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11308 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:49 PM

Excuse the pun but, oh how the tables turned...
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon

There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Marion Chard

#5 civilwargal

civilwargal

Major

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

Good One Marion!!