Combined 36th & 540th 2009 Reunion

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11374 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 22 March 2009 - 12:35 PM

We are already gearing up for the next reunion. Should be the last week in September, but will post the dates when affirmed.

Captain John Fallon is sending out HEARTY invites to the members of the 540th, once again. While we haven't had any 540th vets show up yet, we have had a few "kids" show up! Wonderful!

We look forward to seeing more of you this year. I am planning on adding some entertainment this fall. Trying to scrounge up some 40's singers. That would be a blast!

Will be meeting once again in Lebanon, at the Quality Inn. BE THERE! drinking.gif We have a hell of a lot of fun! Ask anyone who's attended!

This extended invite also goes out to any member of the 39th and 1108th! The more the merrier!!! Come on down VI Corps vets!!

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon

There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Marion Chard

#2 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11374 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 07 June 2009 - 01:39 PM

Quality Inn
625 Quentin Rd.
Lebanon, PA
17042-7088

Toll-Free: (800) 626-8242 or (717) 273-6771
Fax: (717) 273-4882

Make your reservations by September 1, 2009 to make sure you get a room. Let them know that you are part of the 36th/540th Reunion to get the discounted rate! Hotel rooms are $56.00 per night

Thursday- Sunday, September 24th to 27th

The Colony Room (our hospitality suite) is available to us for all four days. Snacks will be provided, along with beer and wine.

We usually plan a nice dinner out at a local restaurant on Friday night. If you are interested, let John or I know ahead of time so we can include you in the reservations. If not, the Colony Room will be open for your use.

Carl Furtado will also be "spinning" some 40's tunes this year, so be prepared to do some dancing. Toe-tapping is mandatory! clappin.gif

There will be a banquet Saturday evening. This is a semi-formal affair.

DVD presentations by YOURS TRULY will be shown throughout the weekend.

Bring your photos, etc. We have a LOT of fun reminiscing!

------------------------------------

PLEASE MAIL $40.00 (per person) to JOHN FALLON to cover dinner and hospitality suite goodies before September 1, 2008. Let him know how many will be attending along with names, so he can prepare your name tags. Send check or money order to:

John Fallon
2459 First Ave
Avalon, NJ 08202

-----------------------------------

Nearest available airport - Harrisburg, PA (approximately 30 minutes west of our hotel)

The famous Hershey's Chocolate Factory/Museum, in Hershey, PA is located between airport and Lebanon. Plan on stopping in!

-----------------------------------

Maps of Area

http://www.lebanonpa...ite/default.asp

http://www.google.co...G...al&ct=image

-----------------

To see images from last year's reunion....

http://www.6thcorpsc.....Reunion 2008/

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#3 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11374 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 07:36 PM

Kai-Ann and I just booked our flights! Yahoo! We're on!!!

Now I just have to call the hotel and we are all set. Can't wait!!!

wav.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#4 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11374 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

Just booked our hotel! More yeahs!!!

wav.gif

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#5 Robersabel

Robersabel

PFC

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 10:10 PM

Perhaps someone attending the reunion can determine how many, if any members of the 36th were awarded the CIB as General Truscott recommended.

It would be valuable pieces of evidence if copies of documents i.e. General Orders, separation papers, etc.. would be shared.

Robert

#6 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11374 posts

Posted 30 July 2009 - 12:18 AM

There aren't many at all. In fact I believe John Fallon is the only one I know about. I'll ask him, but that has been the problem all along. The boys have already been down that road...

Marion
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#7 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11374 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:22 AM

I'm outta here. Gotta catch a flight in a couple of hours. Another great reunion to attend. We are supposed to have a good turn-out. Ain't that wonderful?

36_15_54.gif

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#8 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11374 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:45 PM

Did anyone miss me? I've been gone for four days. Just got back late last night. Had a great time. More to report later. Am back to work...

clapping.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#9 Robersabel

Robersabel

PFC

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:26 PM

Did you happen to learn anything about members of the 36th receiving the CIB?

Robert

QUOTE (Walt's Daughter @ Sep 28 2009, 06:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did anyone miss me? I've been gone for four days. Just got back late last night. Had a great time. More to report later. Am back to work...

clapping.gif

#10 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11374 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 05:55 PM

The subject was briefly brought up, but too many things going on and so many topics to cover. Sorry! But unfortunately nothing to forward to you...

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#11 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11374 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 11:16 AM

Awwww, okay, guess no one missed me. Sigh!

armata_PDT_23.gif

tearyeyed.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#12 civilwargal

civilwargal

Major

• Members
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:The American Civil War, reading, travel, cooking.

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:23 PM

I missed you.... armata_PDT_01.gif
"Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read" Groucho Marx

#13 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11374 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:45 PM

Yeah! I was beginning to wonder. Thought no one needed me, and was gonna ditch....

armata_PDT_23.gif

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#14 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11374 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

The visit was WAY too short, but as always, a ton of fun.

One thing that was disturbing though; no John Fallon. His wife is very sick, so he was going to just show up for a day or so. But alas, he was unable to get away at all, so therefore, he presence was sorely missed. It just wasn't the same without him. Much love to you John and to your dear wife Mary. It was the first reunion he missed in over 30 years. armata_PDT_23.gif

We had a very decent turn-out, with approximately 30-35 over a 4-day span. Not bad! armata_PDT_37.gif Weather was good, and everyone was in good spirits. We enjoyed each others company, and even had a visit from a current day combat engineer, Chris! Chris is was a pleasure having you there. Glad you could join the crew! 14_1_107v.gif

We viewed the first and second chapters of the documentary, as well as had a slideshow of the engineer photos, going in the background during the weekend. The projector idea worked out wonderfully and enabled us to have a nice big picture. Much better than trying to view on a small tv screen. Thanks Carl for setting that up for the gang. icon_pray.gif

Will have photos this weekend, well at least a partial, with more to follow.

Love to all who were there. Sadly, no one from the 540th, nor their family members attended, much to my dismay. So I am here today to call out to all; where were you? We really need you there. I was hoping after having some representation over the last two years, more would turn out to fill our numbers, but this did not occur. tearyeyed.gif While I understand it is hard for everyone to get away for a few days, I am disappointed because at least a dozen 80 and 90-year-olds managed to travel from afar, but the kids?? I hope that serves as an inspiration for all. drinking.gif I DO expect to see you there next year. We have almost 365 days to plan. SAME TIME, SAME PLACE! Be there or be square!

Well must run for now. Much love to the gang. You are the BEST! clapping.gif

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard