D-Day Down to Earth

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11631 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 11 March 2007 - 12:12 AM

My new friend, Howard Huebner of the 82nd Airborne, WWII, recently sent me a signed copy of the documentary called, D-Day: Down to Earth - The Return of the 507th. You can check out this video here:

http://www.507th.com/

Thanks Howard. I really enjoyed it.

BTW, I am working on Howard's page this weekend and should have it ready within the next day or two.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon

There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Marion Chard

#2 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11631 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 11 March 2007 - 03:18 PM

Stumbled upon this by accident while researching links for Howard's up and coming page. Very interesting...

Attached Files

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#3 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Interests:My Dog, WWII, Fishing

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:04 PM

I loved it too. There is another retelling of this story on one of the Brokaw DVDS, but it's the same people, including the two Sisters. They really tore hell outta the SS that staged the frontal assault! armata_PDT_34.gif

Jim grommit.gif
Dogdaddy 1

#4 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11631 posts

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:43 PM

http://www.6thcorpsc...wardHuebner.htm

Howard's new page on our site! armata_PDT_34.gif

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#5 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11631 posts

Posted 26 May 2007 - 01:56 AM

Got this from Howard this evening. Forwarded by his buddy:
=======================================

Great News!

Georgia Public Broadcasting has notified filmmakers Phil Walker and David Druckenmiller that GPB will be re-broadcasting “D-Day: Down to Earth – Return of the 507th” as part of their Memorial Day weekend program schedule.

Scheduled GPS times are Sunday, May 27th at 5:00 PM and 11:30 PM EDT.

Please check your local PBS affiliate’s broadcast schedule to determine if they have plans of their own during the Memorial Day and D-Day Anniversary time period. The number of Americans who have learned the story of the 507th PIR and ‘The Cost of Freedom’ as a result of viewing this award winning documentary now numbers in the millions.

If you ask a 507th veteran their definition of a “hero,” you can bet their answer will be, “their buddies who didn’t make it back.”

This Memorial Day we honor all Americans who have made paid the ultimate sacrifice for the freedom we are so very privileged to enjoy. May we never forget them and the terrible loss suffered by their families.

Jerry

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#6 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 03:32 AM

I have been watching the Tom Brokaw DVD series "The Greatest Generation" tonight and one of the stories was about the men of the 507th PIR and the citizens of that small French Village who helped them in the days immediately following the Normandy Invasion. It was very touching to see the obvious affection the two old French sisters had for the Americans and vice-versa, especially after all these years. That was quite a battle between 186 members of the 82nd Airborne and some 2000 Waffen-SS Panzergrenadiers! It was unfortunate that so many innocents and wounded were murdered by the Germans after they managed to push the Americans out of the village, but that small band of Americans killed more than 500 Waffen-SS before they left, and wounded many more.
There was another story about a woman who's father was killed in WWII before she was even born. She finally got to meet the surviving crew members of the Bomber her Dad was flying the night his plane was shot down, and she learned that her father stayed at the controls until all 8 crew members had a chance to bail out....but time had run out for her Father. Stories of great personal sacrifice. God Bless them all. angel.gif

Jim
Dogdaddy 1

#7 moose

moose

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:WWII 101st Airborne Reenactment
    Darts
    DIY
    Gardening
    Meeting People

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:27 PM

jim.jpg jim_003.jpg jim_004.jpg
HI JIM,
NOT LONG AGO THE HISTORY CHANNEL SHOWED THE SAD, HARROWING STORY OF GRAIGNES, NORMANDY, FRANCE THAT FATEFUL
TIME DURING THE 82ND AA D-DAY AIRBORNE OPERATIONS. I HAVE TRIED TO POST AN ACCOUNT OF WHAT HAPPENED FROM ' MAJOR & MRS HOLT'S BATTLEFIELD GUIDE'. HOPE YOU ARE ABLE TO READ IT OK.
MOOSE.
A Moose no longer alone in the Wolverine State.

#8 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:29 PM

Hi Moose, things like this are both sad and inspirational, as they emphasize the best and the worst that humanity has to offer.

Jim
Dogdaddy 1

#9 verow

verow

Major General

• Members
  • 1593 posts
  • Interests:Reading , books about WWII and everything who interst me , WWII history , and I have adopted the grave of 13 american soldiers the Cemetry colleville sur mer I am proud to honour their memory. music nostalgic of the years 40 , and loves of my life my 3 sons and my dog

Posted 25 July 2007 - 07:19 AM

I allowed myself to put these two links

http://www.normandy1....uk/graines.htm

http://www.6juin1944.../en_hemevez.php

Véronique
Under every white cross of American Cemetery of Colleville (Normandy), sleeps a piece of Freedom

#10 verow

verow

Major General

• Members
  • 1593 posts
  • Interests:Reading , books about WWII and everything who interst me , WWII history , and I have adopted the grave of 13 american soldiers the Cemetry colleville sur mer I am proud to honour their memory. music nostalgic of the years 40 , and loves of my life my 3 sons and my dog

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

U.S. paratroopers of the 507th Parachute Constitution and French citizens were tragically killed in the village made Graignes place of sacrifice and heroism in one of the most moving and courageous...

D-Day: The Secret Massacre part 1

D-Day: The Secret Massacre part 2

http://www.youtube.c...feature=related

D-Day: The Secret Massacre part 3

D-Day: The Secret Massacre part 4

D-Day: The Secret Massacre part 5

Vee
Under every white cross of American Cemetery of Colleville (Normandy), sleeps a piece of Freedom

#11 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11631 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:25 PM

Dear Vee:

Merci. Will take a look when I get the chance. Getting ready to go out to lunch with family in a few minutes.

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#12 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11631 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:06 AM

The latest news on D-Day Down to Earth, and a new one, Papa Said, which was created by Howard's nephew, Richard Warner.

This is a letter Howard shared with me from Salute to America. Howard's letter follows:

David, Jerry, Candy and I have received word that Georgia Public Broadcasting will be airing Papa said on Sunday May 30th at 11PM (EDT) and D-Day: Down to Earth on Memorial Day. Monday, May 31st at 10:00 PM (EDT)

The films are available free of charge to any local affiliate of PBS if they wish to share themIf anyone desire additional copies to share..please let us know.

We Salute all who have served to protect our Freedoms..Have a Wonderful day

Brad
Salute America

...PAPA SAID----- WAS MADE IN A SMALL VILLAGE OF GRAGNIA WHERE A COMPANY OF THE 507 FOUGHT AND HAD TO RETREAT BECAUSE THE GERMAN SS TROOPS BROUGH IN TANKS AND 88'S AND THE 507 ONLY HAD MORTARS AND MACHINE GUNS.

MY NEPHEW...MADE MY DOCUMENTARY. MY DAUGHTER AND SON ARE GOING TO FRANCE FOR JUNE 4-5 SHOWING OF MY DOCUMENTARY. WHEN IT IS READY FOR THE PUBLIC I WILL SEE THAT YOU GET ONE.------- THAT IS IF YOU WANT ONE.------

IF YOU CAN TRY AND WATCH THE ONE SUNDAY MAY 30 ( D-DAY DOWN TO EARTH RETURN OF THE 507 ) . I'LL BE SLEEPING BY THEN.

HOWARD

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard