• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#51 ND-Jim

ND-Jim

Sargeant/Tec 4

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • Interests:Logging on to Marion's
    web-site. Notre Dame Football-Music-Music.

Posted 14 June 2006 - 08:59 PM

Marion
    I feel the word (published) would cover newspaper and book articles.
My opinion it would not refer
to web-sites or internet
stories.Go for it-Tiger.

#52 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:38 PM

Ah a rose by any other name...  wink.gif  biggrin.gif   Thanks kiddo!
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon

There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Marion Chard

#53 twobisquit

twobisquit

Captain

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:53 PM

I'm sure looking forward to your artical.Those guys  will finally get some long deserved  reconition.
Son of Francis "Combat" Stephens- Co. C 36th Combat Engineer Regiment

#54 rennog

rennog

Major

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:WWII History, M1 Garands, Books about WWI, WWII and everything who interst me.

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:23 PM

biggrin.gif Hey congrats from Lux biggrin.gif
Do you know the adress where I can order a copy for European fellows? ??
Martin from Luxembourg

#55 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 16 June 2006 - 12:29 AM

Thanks.   biggrin.gif  Both links are placed earlier in this thread.  Think there's one on page two of this subject and page 3 if I remember correctly!
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#56 rennog

rennog

Major

• Members
  • 300 posts
  • Interests:WWII History, M1 Garands, Books about WWI, WWII and everything who interst me.

Posted 16 June 2006 - 10:57 PM

wacko.gif Thanks you're right it seems that I've overlooked it rolleyes.gif
thanks again.

Unfortunately it's only for Americans. mad.gif
Martin from Luxembourg

#57 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:42 AM

QUOTE (rennog @ Jun 16 2006, 05:57 PM)
wacko.gif Thanks you're right it seems that I've overlooked it rolleyes.gif
thanks again.

Unfortunately it's only for Americans. mad.gif

I didn't realize they wouldn't send overseas.   Oh heck, I promise to scan the article and I will send you one.    armata_PDT_20.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#58 rennog

rennog

Major

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 01:51 AM

biggrin.gif Thank you that were very kind biggrin.gif
Martin from Luxembourg

#59 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 02:38 AM

Martin:

Lee just told me that he knows that folks in many countries in Europe do read the magazine because they send in letters to the editor, etc.  Maybe certain countries do and others don't.  But don't despair, I will try and get you a copy of the magazine for your collection.   armata_PDT_34.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#60 Irishmaam

Irishmaam

Captain

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 20 June 2006 - 09:52 PM

Good on you. I am sure i ts g onna be great. Miss ya Sis
~They shall not grow old As we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them Nor the years condemAt the going down of the sun And in the morning
We will remember them ~

#61 Jiggersfromsphilly

Jiggersfromsphilly

2nd Lt

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 22 July 2006 - 10:33 PM

I was pleasantly pleased to recieve the September issue and inside was a very nice piece by some Marion Chard???? Who ever that is. She seemed very informed about the540th Combat Engineer Regiment.

All kidding aside , Marion did a very good job of putting the story of these great men into the public's consciousness.

Hats off to you kid!!!  I hope the book is not far behind!

Jiggersfromsphilly

Missing in action since the last computer emltdown and replacement!

#62 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:21 AM

Jiggs, wow and wow.   You are the first to see the article.  I haven't even seen it yet!   laugh.gif   Really, I haven't!   wacko.gif

It was a THRILL to read this post.  I ran out into the family room with drink in hand  drinking.gif  and said to my stepson and my husband, "Hey, Jiggs got to read my article first!"   So we had a great toast.  

Now I can't wait to see it   Hey where's my copy and damn it, where's my check?   laugh.gif  laugh.gif

Thanks for the compliments.   Missed ya and glad you are back.  Hope we can link up in PA this fall.  Let's try again!   armata_PDT_20.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#63 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Interests:My Dog, WWII, Fishing

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:47 AM

I was exited to get my copy in the mail today..Good Job!! armata_PDT_34.gif

Jim
Dogdaddy 1

#64 Jiggersfromsphilly

Jiggersfromsphilly

2nd Lt

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:10 AM

Well I'm glad you got a kick out of my post.  

We will give it a try this fall of course!

#65 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 03:46 AM

I hope Marion can spell "Combat" better than Jiggs.   rolleyes.gif

But WHY is the September issue already out??  I didn't expect it for another 3 or 5 weeks.

Steve
Enginears...Engeneres....Engineres----- I are one and I can't spell it.
Reference Table of US Infantry Divisions

#66 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 02:25 PM

Well folks it out, but I haven't seen it yet!   Jiggs from Philly told me about it last night.  Yipeee!   armata_PDT_12.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#67 Parnell-H

Parnell-H

2nd Lt

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • Interests:WWII history, WWII re-enacting, Hunting, Fishing, Anything outdoors.

Founding member of the European Military History Group based at Spangdahlem AB, Germany

Posted 23 July 2006 - 04:31 PM

Marion,
I will be the first in line to buy the book.    Good luck to you!!!   biggrin.gif     armata_PDT_34.gif

#68 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 02:24 PM

Well just got my copy and was thrilled to see my name and article in print.    biggrin.gif

However, I was FOREWARNED by all my author friends, that it would be chopped and changed.   IT WAS!    They said, don't be too disappointed when it comes out.  

Don't get me wrong, they did a good job, but it's always disappointing to see.  One of my WWII vets said when he saw the article he wrote, it looked so different that he didn't even recognize it.  

Well we'll see what happens with my article in Army Engineer Mag at the end of the year.   I betcha that one will be a lot closer to the original.

Funny they said they wanted it to be personalized with references to the men.  They kept a couple that related to KIA's etc., but took out the reference at Anzio to my DAD and the one regarding Bill Vander Wall, landing on the shores of North Africa with the flag that he still has in his possession today.    

That is why I am going to self-publish my book.   armata_PDT_34.gif   I've already heard enough horror stories from Don Burgett!   ohmy.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#69 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 03:11 PM

Hubby just read it and agreed with my assessment.  Said they made it sound very clinical and took out the personalization that they asked for.    blink.gif

I told him, gee I should be more estatic today, but I guess I have to get over my "pissiness".   argue.gif   He understood how I felt.
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#70 chambers

chambers

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:History, Handbags, Antiques, and DACHSHUNDS!!<br /><br />

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:33 PM

Where can I get my hands on a issue??

Thanks,
Brooke
God bless those heroes who suffered and died, for plain folks, like you and me.

War is a crime.  Ask the infantry and ask the dead.

#71 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:57 PM

You can find it at most major newstands such as Borders, etc.  Let me know if you have any problems attaining one.

Here is their site too.  They still have the July/August issue listed, not Septembers yet.

http://www.historynet.com/wwii/
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#72 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:59 PM

Hey guys, hope you don't mind, but I'm moved some of these posts to merge with another   wink.gif  Hey and if you did mind, tough.   laugh.gif  laugh.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#73 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:16 PM

Okay, had to talk with a REAL author so I bugged my dear friend Don Burgett.  Well after I read his letter and laughed my arse off, I felt much better.

He told me about a writer friend of his and his constant rejections.  One day his friend calls him up and says,  "Don, I feel like a real writer and author now."  I said "Congratulations, you made it."  He replied, "No, I just received my first rejection."    laugh.gif

Then he proceeded to tell me about a conversation with an editor.  After I read this I told him that if I didn't know him, I would have thought he made it up.  It is so absurd, you'll see...

He was discussing the move from Noville (it's in his book) with her, explaining, "...two Shermans at the head of our column were knocked out by German tanks and two of our tank destroyers raced forward from the rear on the right side of our column, the enemy was on the left of our column, to give aid with their hefty 90 mm. guns"

He went on to say she was appalled and with all seriousness and authority replied,  "It's against the law in New York to pass on the right."  

I told her, "Towns, cities, and countries have been destroyed, millions of people have been killed, murdered and enslaved, and you are worried about a New York law against passing on the right?"    

See what writers have to contend with?   I told you it was absurd.   After reading that I was laughing so hard and took the editing job with a much lighter heart.   armata_PDT_34.gif

He went on to write more and I thanked him for giving me some perspective.  He ended his letter to me like this, "Don't feel bad Marion, at least you're published, and it will get worse.  Warm regards, Don Burgett"

Okay, see what I have to look forward to?   laugh.gif  laugh.gif  laugh.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#74 twobisquit

twobisquit

Captain

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:55 PM

Good artical Marion...I picked up my copy at the grocery store, yesterday.
Here's one for all your hard work
drinking.gif

chris
Son of Francis "Combat" Stephens- Co. C 36th Combat Engineer Regiment

#75 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11139 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 12:36 AM

Thanks Chris.  Ah my adoring fan club.   laugh.gif  laugh.gif   But seriously, thanks for picking up a copy and sharing your thoughts.  It's still hard to believe that my name is there next to Herman Goering's.   laugh.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard