My articles & book(s)

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#1 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:55 PM

Well, I just returned from a phenomenal weekend with the 36th Combat Engineers. What a great time. What great people and what things I have learned in three short days. True inspiration! heartpump.gif

I have come away with a renewed spirit to complete my project; getting my book written and published. From this day forth I promise to devote the majority of my time to accomplishing this mission. I have revamped my original intentions on writing separate accounts, and am now going to begin by combining my efforts and writing the book from the standpoint of ALL the VI Corps Combat Engineers. The 36th and 540th covered much of the same territory, so their stories often cross and will compliment each other. This will enable me to accomplish my goals in a shorter amount of time, which is vital point to the men of these units. The youngest now are already 80 and many more are pushing 90. It goes without saying that they would like to see their names in print while they are still alive.

So I hope that I will have your support, my dear friends, and that you will understand where my heart and goals lead me at this point in my life. So while I continue to try and lend my aid and assistance to all my WWII friends, I must place my focus on accomplishing this goal. Thank you for your continuing support and friendship. If you have anything that might assist me in completing this project, please don't hesitate to contact me. This includes any men from the 3rd, 34th, 36th and 45th Infantry Divisions, or anyone else who fought along with the 5th or 7th Armies or VI Corps. Many of the above mentioned units fought alongside with MY engineers and your info may be integral to my book.

Edited by Walt's Daughter, 04 December 2006 - 06:17 PM.

Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon

There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Marion Chard

#2 Jiggersfromsphilly

Jiggersfromsphilly

2nd Lt

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:30 PM

You go Girlfriend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#3 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:46 PM

Thank you SO much Jiggs. That means a lot to me. I talked (through PM) to Larry Alexander the other night before I left for my trip. I was thrilled that he took a moment to answer my letter to him. He said that he gave me a lot of credit to take on a book of this scale. Basically said it was hard enough writing about one man's experiences (for those of you who don't know, it's Dick Winters of the 101st Airborne - Easy Co - you know Band of Brothers). I know that you two are friends, so if you talk to him, please tell him how much I appreciated getting his response.

Well here goes... drinking.gif

PS. I got your message in PA, and thanks for calling. I too had so much going on, that I probably wouldn't have gotten a chance to get away either. Hey we tried my friend. Anyway, I WILL be back next year and will be taking more time too. Let's hope we can meet in 2006. I would heartpump.gif it!

Edited by Walt's Daughter, 26 September 2005 - 10:47 PM.

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#4 Recon6m

Recon6m

Private

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:42 AM

Good Luck

#5 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:42 AM

Thanks. Who knows, it sounds as if your grandfather was with one of these units, so he could very well wind up in this book. wink.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#6 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:27 PM

Just got off the phone with Steve Casey this afternoon. Steve's father was in the 540th. Unfortunately Hurricane Rita put a damper on his plans and he was unable to attend. sad.gif

We talked for about a half hour and I told him all about the reunion and the amount of memorabilia that was available, including all the stuff I brought. Said he has all kinds of things to share with me too, but I told him not to despair; the group is planning on meeting again next year! biggrin.gif

Steve has his own printing company and we talked at length about creating items of interest for sale regarding the VI Corps Engineers. Told him I would definitely be interested in something like this in the near future. He also said he would love to jump in and help with the publishing of the book. Told him that that was very fantastic news, since publishing can be a tricky deal. I said that if I couldn't get a publisher right away, then I would have to self-publish and as we all know, it can get expensive. He said that as long as it wasn't a hardcover edition, then we could design something nice and work together. Ah, music to my ears. At least now I know I have my foot in the door and will initially be able to get the books out to the vets and their family members. I feel very inspired! angel.gif Things are starting to fall into place. armata_PDT_20.gif armata_PDT_34.gif

Well must run, but wanted to share the good news with everyone. This really gives me even more incentive. armata_PDT_12.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#7 Stevin

Stevin

1st Lt

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Allied casualties in The Nethelands. Land and air war in ETO.

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:55 AM

VERY glad to hear that Marion! I see why events like these are great motivators. Keep it up. I would be very interested in the fruits of all your labor! I know not many of them saw action in teh Netherlands, but if tehr eis anything I can do, let me know.

STevin

#8 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:46 AM

Stevin, while it IS true that these units did not have action in the Netherlands, which is your area of research, having a friend like you who always backs me up and lends me support, is a number one incentive all to itself. armata_PDT_12.gif It's nice just to be able to chat with you and get some of that motivation that is running through your blood. So in that manner you are a tremendous help.

Also you ARE very helpful to me and to many that visit this site because you always seem to have a point of interest to share with my readers and we wind up having more in common that we would have imagined. drinking.gif

A big hi to your gorgeous wife. Hope all is well on your end. BTW, your site is coming along so nicely. It is something to be very proud of! armata_PDT_34.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#9 Stevin

Stevin

1st Lt

• Members
  • 84 posts
  • Interests:Allied casualties in The Nethelands. Land and air war in ETO.

Posted 03 October 2005 - 07:27 AM

wub.gif

Thanks Marion. The same goed for you. In a short while we have become very friendly an able to help eachother. We will keep up the good work. Again, if there is anything I can do.....You know where to reach me....

and indeed; drinking.gif

#10 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 02:01 PM

QUOTE (Walt's Daughter @ Sep 26 2005, 04:55 PM)
So I hope that I will have your support, my dear friends, and that you will understand where my heart and goals lead me at this point in my life. So while I continue to try and lend my aid and assistance to all my WWII friends, I must place my focus on accomplishing this goal. Thank you for your continuing support and friendship. If you have anything that might assist me in completing this project, please don't hesitate to contact me. This includes any men from the 3rd, 34th, 36th and 45th Infantry Divisions, or anyone else who fought along with the 5th or 7th Armies or VI Corps. Many of the above mentioned units fought alongside with MY engineers and your info may be integral to my book.

Anyone?? wink.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#11 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:59 AM

Was sitting out on our big ol' country porch tonight talking to my Lee about my aspirations for my book, etc. I always look to him for guidance and advice for many reasons. One: he is very brilliant. Two: he is very well read. Three: he is very well read in WWII history. Four he is a good writer. Five: I always value his opinion because he is unbiased and will always give me the truth. Some people only tell you what you want to hear. He tells me like it is and I value that. So if I write something he won't say, "Gee hun that was great." He won't if it's not the truth.

Well as we were sitting and sharing the sunshine of an unusually gorgeous warm Michigan November day, and he said, I have an idea that I'd like to share with you. Oh yes, do tell. He then went in to fetch a copy of WWII magazine. I think you should do this he exclaimed and turned to a well known feature of the mag. If any of you are regular readers of WWII, then you know about the sections they feature up front, namely Commands, One Man's War, etc.

He suggested that I submit a concise synopsis of the 540th for inclusion in the magazine. He reminded me that they are always hungry for submissions and he thought it would be a great way for me to bring my thoughts together in a neatly summed up one page article. Kind of a basis with tight paragraphs that would lead me to expand on each as I write my book.

Great idea I exclaimed. Thank you for your thoughts. He has me "geeked" now and I am going to start writing this weekend. Wish me luck "me mates". It would be a perfect avenue to try out my wares. WWII mag, here I come! armata_PDT_34.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#12 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 06:20 PM

I sent this email to the editor of WWII mag last night and this morning I received a reply.

--------------
Dear WWII Magazine:

I am interested in submitting a brief history of my father's unit, the 540th Combat Engineers, to your magazine and am requesting some guidelines as far as length, etc. I have a rough idea after looking over such sections as Command, but need to need to know if you have any other requirements.

Thank you for your time,
Marion J Chard
VI Corps, 540th Combat Engineer WWII
http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com
Essayons!

Dear Ms. Chard,
Thank you for your letter to World War II. I would be very happy to see something on the 540th and I think that "Commands" would be just the place to run it. I have attached a copy of our editorial guidelines for your review. You should try to keep the story to around 1,500 words as it will need to fit on one page. Thank you for your interest and I look forward to seeing your submission.
Regards,
Chris Anderson
Editor
-----------------

As you can well imagine, this has inspired me even more and as of this afternoon, I have already covered the time period to Jan 1945.

Lee is going to proof-read my article and I also plan on sending a copy to my friend, Michael at the Army Corps of Engineers. I trust both to give me their unbiased and professional opinions before wisking this out in an envelope to the editor.

Well, back to the family room. If I'm sitting here writing, then guess what I'm NOT doing? armata_PDT_12.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#13 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 10:47 PM

I know, I know, I'm geeked. I just finished my first draft and will now hand my manuscript over to my beloved husband. Gulp! We'll see.

At first it was terribly difficult to keep a watch on the words flowing from my fingertips. I had a 1500 word count to work within. Trying to compile 3 years into 1500 words is not an easy task. What do you include? What do you exclude?

I think I have succeeded, but my editors will be the judge of that, not me! wacko.gif

I do feel a real sense of accomplishment as this is the first step in my set of goals for the 540th and for VI Corps. It's always important to get past that initial step. It breaks the ice and gets the old blood going. Okay world, try and stop me now. armata_PDT_12.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#14 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:55 PM

It's done. I mailed the submission today! I am nervous, excited, apprehensive, elated, thrilled, proud... Lots of adjectives thrown in there. It will be a thrill for the 540th to "see their name in lights". sleep.gif (if it happens...)

Essayons!

Here ya go my friends. You can read my original. This is a PDF. As with all PDF files, it may take a while to download.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12-4-05 There was an error regarding a date that Stan Dziuban caught. I therefore changed it and have placed the revised document below. Thank you Stan. You're the only one who caught the mistake.

Attached Files

Edited by Walt's Daughter, 05 December 2005 - 02:49 AM.

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#15 Guest_chucktoo1926_*

Guest_chucktoo1926_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2005 - 10:07 PM

Hail to our chief;

Well Mare; where will it end. I hear you have now written a history piece on the 540th, and submitted it to a magazine. Congratulations kiddo. I still say you are a pint sized dynamo. For those of you who haven't heard, I copied this for you.

Oh did you read about my submission to WWII mag? Here ya go....

Upon the urging and suggestion from Lee, I began writing a brief history and sent an email to the editor of the magazine on Sunday. Monday morning I received the following reply:
-------------------------------------

Dear Ms. Chard,

Thank you for your letter to World War II. I would be very happy to see something on the 540th and I think that "Commands" would be just the place to run it. I have attached a copy of our editorial guidelines for your review. You should try to keep the story to around 1,500 words as it will need to fit on one page. Thank you for your interest and I look forward to seeing your submission.

Regards,

Chris Anderson

Editor

drinking.gif clapping.gif hello2.gif armata_PDT_34.gif
-------------------------------------------------------

Marion's note: Please be advised I have moved this post and attached it to the already ongoing discussion here. Thanks!

Edited by Walt's Daughter, 14 November 2005 - 03:10 PM.

#16 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 13 November 2005 - 11:11 PM

Thanks Chuck for your kind words and encouragement. Actually I do have this posted on the site. It's under WWII Engineers and is in the post, "My Book..."

I appreciate your enthusiasm and it's great that you took a moment of your time to inquire. Thanks again. As you can imagine, I am really geeked and have my fingers crossed (well not really cuz I'm NOT superstitious).

It's not even so much for me, but I want everyone to know about my daddy's unit and how much they contributed to the war effort. Of course it doesn't hurt for my name to be out there, because as Lee says, it opens a door for you when you try and get your book published. And he's right! I'm so glad to have him at and on my side. I couldn't do this without his love and assistance! wub.gif
----------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: I have since moved his post and this reply and merged them within THIS POST.

Edited by Walt's Daughter, 14 November 2005 - 03:21 PM.

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#17 Irishmaam

Irishmaam

Captain

• Members
  • 202 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:18 AM

Well I have missed so much here. I will be catching up any day now. At the moment I am sitting at Ft Campbell with Dusty watching Dennis Leary Lord he is an angry comedian .... so tomorrow night is the night, and then I will be back home. Thanks for sharing your news and always working so damned hard Mar. You're a wonder filled girl ya know... Good on you.. Hugs at ya Cindy
~They shall not grow old As we that are left grow old
Age shall not weary them Nor the years condemAt the going down of the sun And in the morning
We will remember them ~

#18 chambers

chambers

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:History, Handbags, Antiques, and DACHSHUNDS!!<br /><br />

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:31 AM

Marion,
Would that be WWII History Magazine? http://www.wwiihistorymagazine.com/

I got a year subscription thru Publisher's Clearing House for like $8, a steal, it's a good magazine.

Brooke
God bless those heroes who suffered and died, for plain folks, like you and me.

War is a crime. Ask the infantry and ask the dead.

#19 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:31 AM

Kisses and hugs to you and big hugs to Dusty. Thanks for your sweetness, sis and your wishes!

wub.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#20 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:33 AM

QUOTE (chambers @ Nov 13 2005, 09:31 PM)
Marion,
Would that be WWII History Magazine?  http://www.wwiihistorymagazine.com/

I got a year subscription thru Publisher's Clearing House for like $8, a steal, it's a good magazine.

Brooke

Yes Brooke, one and the same. You got a subscription for that cheap? WOWZEE! That is a real steal. armata_PDT_34.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#21 Guest_colinhotham_*

Guest_colinhotham_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:27 PM

Marion, I have spent some time today on my US 7th Army/Sicily research looking back over your many posts on the subject. Is there anywhere here that you have a chronological list of your dad's movements after landing at Gela? The dates are not as important as the route he took. I am initially interested in the engineers in western Sicily.

Colin.
tank.gif

#22 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 14 November 2005 - 02:54 PM

I will be placing the entire history here someday, but in the interim, I can send you a synopsis of what I have so far. I will get back with you.

I should be getting my first "installment" of documents from NARA within the next several weeks. I do not know what it will cover. Let's hope this first batch covers the Sicilian campaign. Soon I will have my hands on ALL of it and that will be an exciting day for both of us! biggrin.gif

Oh, were you able to download and read the brief history yet?

NOTE: This post and the several ones above have been merged from another topic into this one.

Edited by Walt's Daughter, 14 November 2005 - 03:22 PM.

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#23 Guest_colinhotham_*

Guest_colinhotham_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

Along with various other links on this site, I downloaded the 'Brief History'. I am at the moment trying to trace the route taken to Palermo by the US army, including the engineers. Between Agrigento and Palermo the engineers were heavily involved with blown bridges, building bypasses and forging a route northwest through very mountainous terrain. Having already traced the 7th Army path from Palermo along the northern coast last May to Messina, I have only travelled as far a Corleone in the interior and in 2006 intend to link up to Agrigento. I await with great interest anything you find.

Colin.
tank.gif

#24 Guest_chucktoo1926_*

Guest_chucktoo1926_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 November 2005 - 11:14 PM

Congrats Mare. Earlier you stated as to how can you put 3 years of warfare into 1500 words. Well; YOU just did.
Today was a beautiful fall sunny day, but that wasn't the sun; It was "Daddy"
smiling down on his "Little Girl". angel.gif

#25 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11418 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 12:00 AM

Great News! Carolyn Billups just called me and she spent the entire day copying files from NARA for me. Info is already on the way. As I stated elsewhere, we are doing this in THIRDS because of the cost factor. So at least now I will have a third of the archived docs on my dad's unit. I am so excited.

Carolyn said that's there's a lot of good "stuff" in it too. Can't wait to get my hands on the info. This is going to be a Christmas present to myself. biggrin.gif

Who knows, maybe in the spring I can hire her back again to do the 2nd part. At least this will get me started. A real gold mine! armata_PDT_20.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard