#177 chambers

chambers

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:History, Handbags, Antiques, and DACHSHUNDS!!<br /><br />

Posted 18 May 2007 - 10:40 AM

Good stuff, Jim.

I can't imagine ever needing $22 so bad that I'd sell off my grandpa, I mean my grandpa's stuff.  

Some people just don't ge it. armata_PDT_33.gif

Brooke
God bless those heroes who suffered and died, for plain folks, like you and me.

War is a crime.  Ask the infantry and ask the dead.

#178 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11308 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 18 May 2007 - 01:24 PM

I'll second that.  Can't imagine selling off my dad's things, or our great uncle's things from WWI.  Oh well, if they don't appreciate it, it will go to someone who will.  I just don't get it either, but...  armata_PDT_23.gif
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon

There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Marion Chard

#179 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Interests:My Dog, WWII, Fishing

Posted 22 May 2007 - 07:57 PM

I received both booklets today in the mail, and they are very nice items which once belonged to a Veteran of the ETO. One booklet telling you basic phrases in German for the enemy, the other tells you how to speak to the Red Army soldier (friend) in 1943. It also has color illustrations of Russian uniforms & equipment for identification. It's a shame things went the way they did for the next 45 years, really and I think about that whenever I watch film of the historic "Meeting on the Elbe" in 1945. Soldier to Soldier...not much difference until politics took center stage and Stalin showed the world that he wasn't much different than Hitler.

Dogdaddy
Dogdaddy 1

#180 Daan

Daan

Private

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 05:39 PM

Wow what a wonderfull items! I really enjoyed seeing all those fantastic items with a history!

Here are a couple of the original photographs i have in my Collection. I collect everything related to the 101st Airborne Division and offcourse Eindhoven/Son/Best related items! It isn't easy but it's really exciting to find such wonderfull items.

2 of them are Aerial Photographs of the Son DZ taken on 17 September 1944! I got 8 of them and i am very proud to own these historical photographs.

The other photo is the plate that was put at the Temporary Cemetary in Son which was there from 1944 till 1948, then 60% of the buried GI's was flown back to the United States and were reburied there, the rest was buried at 'Margraten'

Attached Thumbnails

• Son_kerkhof_01.jpg
  • Son_DZ_05.jpg
  • Son_DZ_08.jpg

#181 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11308 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 24 June 2007 - 11:45 PM

Interesting photos Daan.  Always love to see aerial views.   armata_PDT_34.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#182 Daan

Daan

Private

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 08:44 PM

Hey Marion,

Thank you for your reply.

I also like them a lot, a buddy of mine is checking out the exact locations (he confirmed that this are Son DZ photographs) so that would be pretty interesting.

Daan

#183 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 10:51 PM

Well...this isn't an aerial view, but interesting photos also....two of six I purchased recently of the Paperhanger & Co.  On the back of each is the purple inkstamp from Hoffman's studio. These are press photos and they are original, not copies. This would be a nice aerial photo from a B-17 laugh.gif
Enjoy!

Dogdaddy grommit.gif

IMG_0008.jpg
Dogdaddy 1

#184 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11308 posts

Posted 13 July 2007 - 01:22 AM

Ooh, la, laa!  Have NOT seen those photos before.  One can honestly say they are a bit spooky.  Just to look at that LITTLE CREEP!  

When someone says to me, my vote doesn't count, or one person can't change the world, I can only point and show the little sh--s photo!   armata_PDT_23.gif

Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#185 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 14 July 2007 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (Walt @ Jul 12 2007, 08:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ooh, la, laa!  Have NOT seen those photos before.  One can honestly say they are a bit spooky.  Just to look at that LITTLE CREEP!  

When someone says to me, my vote doesn't count, or one person can't change the world, I can only point and show the little sh--s photo!   armata_PDT_23.gif

The first time I had thes photos in my hands I couldn't help but think to myself whoever took them was close enough to that little s___t to have put at least two rounds into him before getting iced himself. And no...I would not have had the courage to do that either, but it was an interesting thought...

Dogdaddy grommit.gif
Dogdaddy 1

#186 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 08:17 PM

I've decided to build my own Japanese Zero! For one thing, I spent half my working life building aircraft parts at that place in Seattle (actually it was Auburn) and now I've got the first piece! Anyone remember the Johnny Cash tune (I got it one piece at a time..."  043.gif

Dogdaddy grommit.gif

IMG_2691.JPG
Dogdaddy 1

#187 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11308 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 11:08 PM

Well I think you will have a helper - my husband.  Guess we'll have to acquire a few thousand more pieces...  Heck, Rome wasn't built in a day and btw, neither was a zero!   043.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#188 twobisquit

twobisquit

Captain

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:02 PM

It's a 41, 42, 43, 44,45.....
Son of Francis "Combat" Stephens- Co. C 36th Combat Engineer Regiment

#189 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11308 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 02:21 AM

Good sense of humor twobisquit.  Do I hear 45 and a half?  armata_PDT_12.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#190 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE (twobisquit @ Jul 21 2007, 05:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's a 41, 42, 43, 44,45.....

I forgot about that lyric!  laugh.gif

Dogdaddy grommit.gif
Dogdaddy 1

#191 SonofaMP

SonofaMP

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Genealogy, WWII research, Civil War Research

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:23 PM

A couple of items that dad had. On left is a german wounds badge, center is a german lighter, left is ( i think) an american lighter.

Larry

"I'm proud to be an American, Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died, Who gave that right to me."
God bless the USA - Lee Greenwood

#192 SonofaMP

SonofaMP

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 627 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Genealogy, WWII research, Civil War Research

Posted 30 August 2007 - 07:36 PM

This  fighting knife wasnt dad`s, it was given to him after the war by a guy from his unit who was also from Danbury, CT.

Larry

"I'm proud to be an American, Where at least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died, Who gave that right to me."
God bless the USA - Lee Greenwood

#193 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 06 September 2007 - 08:24 PM

This is one of my favorites, a Japanese officer's tropical tunic that has seen some combat. Notice the shadows left from where the rank badges and shoulder straps were removed. You can see that the hot tropical sunshine has bleached the rest of the tunic. Over the left chest is what appears to be the threads from a string of medals. It's still quite easy to buy a 'dead stock' Japanese tunic in mint condition because it never left the clothing factory, which is why I like this one so much. It has that been there look.

Dogdaddy grommit.gif

ddce_1.JPG
Dogdaddy 1

#194 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11308 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 12:21 AM

Another very fine addition to your collection!  This must be a very special prize, since most of your collectables are American and/or German.
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#195 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:46 PM

Hello M,
  Actually I don't have any more German items except for a poster that I want to sell, and will probably consign with a dealer. I started looking at Japanese stuff lately because it can still be found and also because I think the value will take a big jump after the Hanks/Spielberg mini-series The Pacific is released. The only items I have collected that have a sentimental attachment are those from the USA.  BTW...that mannequin I use for picture taking has served in the armies of all Axis powers briefly before trading in his duds for (1) US Army in ETO (2) USMC in Pacific, and finally (3) US Navy (both theaters). rolleyes.gif  

Happy Collecting!
Dogdaddy grommit.gif

ps- A neat poster from "The Great War"

SeeHimThrough1.JPG
Dogdaddy 1

#196 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11308 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:53 PM

I have never seen that one before.  
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#197 twobisquit

twobisquit

Captain

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:22 AM

Here is one that a few of us wouldlove to get our hands on. It's in our local Veterans museum. There is actually 2 mess kits with th the Engineer' Castle. This is the more elaborate of the two.

Attached Thumbnails

• museum7.jpg

#198 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11308 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 12:25 AM

You are right about that one. She's a beauty!  Oh my heart be still.   heartpump.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#199 twobisquit

twobisquit

Captain

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 01:43 AM

I knew that one would make your heart go pitter- patter, Marion.
I was at the Wyoming Veteran museum this afternoon and took alot of pictures of the Wall muralsand will put together  something  later this weekend
Chris

#200 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 01:29 AM

Here are two items that I picked up that are more recent history but interesting.

This is an overseas cap worn by the Polar Bear Association of veterans of the 339th Infantry Regiment, 85th Infantry Division.  The cap probably first appeared at their reunion in 1962.
CapPolarBear.jpg

The second item is a pin that was attached to the hat on the opposite side.  It is a copy of the DUI of the 339th Infantry Regiment but a nice quality piece.  The enamel color should be royal blue and not so purple.
PinPolarBear1.jpg

Speaking of this unit, I just finished reading a book on them; "FIghting the Bolsheviks".  This was the memoirs of PFC Donald Carey who served with the 339th Regiment from 1918 to 1919 on the North Russian Expedition.  This book has details of the soldier's life during WW1 and it is interesting to hear how they survived in Russia during the winter months.  This soldier joined the army and within 2 months he had completed training and shipment to England.  He returned back to Detroit within 1 week of the day he left home to join the Army.  Amazing.

Steve
Enginears...Engeneres....Engineres----- I are one and I can't spell it.
Reference Table of US Infantry Divisions