• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#1 twobisquit

twobisquit

Captain

• Members
  • 223 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 10:11 PM

I thought it would be fun to see everyones favoritescollectibles and memoribilia. I bet that this group has some really great stuff. Besides, it gives us a chance to show off a little and practice our photography skills
Here's one of mine;This canteen belonged to FW Stephens. Heengraved it with the bayonet tip. I hilighted it with a black pen so it would show up better

Attached Thumbnails

• canteen_di.jpg

Son of Francis "Combat" Stephens- Co. C 36th Combat Engineer Regiment

#2 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11367 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 07 May 2006 - 01:27 AM

Awesome collectible. It reminded me of a great story that was shared with me by one of the 540th that I had the opportunity to spend two days with last year.

Said he had lost his "tin cup". Had not seen it in almost a year. Was in a chow line somewhere in Europe and danged if he didn't see his tin. He walked over to the GI holding it and exclaimed, "Hey, I believe you have something of mine!" The GI looked at him skeptically and bellowed something to the effect of, "I don't think so!" So Bill told him to look at the inscription. Sure enough, there was Bill's name etched into the old tin. The guy gave it up. Bill still has it to this very day!! armata_PDT_34.gif
Marion J Chard
Proud Daughter of Walter (Monday) Poniedzialek
540th Engineer Combat Regiment, 2833rd Bn, H&S Co, 4th Platoon

There's "No Bridge Too Far"
Marion Chard

#3 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts
  • Interests:My Dog, WWII, Fishing

Posted 07 May 2006 - 11:49 PM

I love sharing photos and stories about WWII collectables! This weekend at our local antique store I found an original 1945 copy of "Up Front," by Bill Mauldin.

grommit.gif drinking.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• b7_1.JPG

Dogdaddy 1

#4 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11367 posts
  • Interests:Reading, history (especially WWII), research, gardening, cooking, astronomy, decorating, music, web design, genealogy, photography, sci-fi and much, much more. I have a lot of interests and sincerely can't remember the last time I was bored! For me there are never enough hours in the day. :-)

Posted 08 May 2006 - 12:33 AM

Grand purchase! armata_PDT_34.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#5 chambers

chambers

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 672 posts
  • Interests:History, Handbags, Antiques, and DACHSHUNDS!!<br /><br />

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:05 PM

Since my budget is microscopic I don't have much to show.

Here's a pullover I found balled up in a dresser drawer my grandpa saved from going to the dump.

Attached Thumbnails

• pics_5_8_06_020.jpg

God bless those heroes who suffered and died, for plain folks, like you and me.

War is a crime. Ask the infantry and ask the dead.

#6 chambers

chambers

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 08 May 2006 - 10:06 PM

And his name is still visible.

Attached Thumbnails

• pics_5_8_06_021.jpg

#7 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:15 PM

That's your Grandpa's? Very Cool....My Dad was Navy also! biggrin.gif

Jim
Dogdaddy 1

#8 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:28 PM

Here is a small souvenir I picked up on my trip to the Normandy beaches. The little militaria shop in St. Mere Eglise had a lot of nice but expensive items. So I looked for some thing that I could afford and I could take back on the plane.
He had a display case with German dogtags of various units. Then I noticed the square ones---these were made for the POWs. I squinted to read the inscription and Wow!! Stalag IIb
That was the POW camp that my Uncle was sent to. I had to have that dogtag.

My Uncle suffered the last 5 or 6 years with alzheimers disease and he died last summer. I passed this dogtag around to show his family and friends at the funeral.

Steve
Enginears...Engeneres....Engineres----- I are one and I can't spell it.
Reference Table of US Infantry Divisions

#9 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:41 PM

This is a really poor photo I took while making a talk to the local high school's Military History Club. So the photo doesn't show much detail of the uniform but gives you an idea of the fun I had doing this talk. I tricked this student into dressing up for the class and I snapped this photo of him.

This is my Italian Army Model 1940 officer's tunic. It is quite dingy and it even had dirt in the pockets but there is no damage to the material. The material is like a gaberdine and the buttons are plastic. The Captain's rank is on the sleeve. The color tabs are for Artillery(the Italian's did not follow the norm for their branch colors: yellow for artillery & red for cavalry).
The visor cap is for the 9th Artillery Regiment(light). These two items were not purchased at same time and the bands on the cap denote a different rank than that indicated on tunic's sleeves.

Here is a close-up of my Artillery hat next to another hat. The Hat on the right is for an Artillery Division(heavy) which is the same insignia seen worn in "Captain Correlli's Mandolin".

Steve

#10 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 03:36 PM

Very nice Steve! I have only recently taken notice of the Italian uniforms and caps, as I guy on ebay has an incredible collection he has been liquidating of both Italian and German DAK items. He is selling them to fund a school for underpriveliged children in South America (forgot which country). They are still for the most part affordable compared to TR items in general. Right now he has a beauty of an Italian pith helmet with insignia.

Jim
Dogdaddy 1

#11 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 06:17 PM

Jim,
I've slowly grown an interest in Italian uniforms due to my study of the Italian Campaign. I knew almost nothing about their uniforms just a few years ago. When the previews of "Captain Correlli's Mandolin" first came out, I laughed at the uniform----out of ignorance. I thought the large yellow flaming bomb emblem on his hat was for cavalry--Wrong.
Since then I've gotten several reference books on the Italian soldiers---both Fascist and as American allies. A good place to start is the Osprey Men-at-Arms booklet 3-part series on "The Italian Army 1940-1945". If you ever need any info on their uniforms or such, just let me know.

Note: the color distortion in the first image when compared to the close-up of the caps. In the movie "Captain Correlli's Mandolin", most of the time Nicholas Cage wears a combat shirt but in the scene at the town dance, he is wearing this Model 1940 tunic. But the color is not just right. They must have developed the film with extra Blue and this same tunic looks totally different color.

I have one more Italian hat that I will show. But I have to go home and edit a photo so I can upload it. If you like military hats, the Italian Army had a wide variety used throughtout their history. In WW1, they wore the kepi that was very similiar to a French or maybe an Austrian. They also had a French helmet (aka Adrian) that was made slightly different from the French version. In WW2 they wore desert pith helmets, fez, berets pulled down in back and a soft cap resembling a night-cap. Quite a mixture. Of course, many are rare items, now.

Steve

#12 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11367 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:23 PM

Ah my Italian relatives. Quite a creative bunch! laugh.gif

Thanks for the very interesting post. Hey, how often do you speak at the school, etc.? That's very cool. Keep up the great work. The world is counting on you. armata_PDT_34.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#13 chambers

chambers

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:13 PM

QUOTE (Dogdaddy @ May 9 2006, 09:15 AM)
That's your Grandpa's? Very Cool....My Dad was Navy also! biggrin.gif

Jim

No, it's not my grandpa's. He was in the Army. My grandpa saved the dresser from going to the dump because someone he knew was going to throw it away. Coincidentally, he knew the fellow who it belonged to. He has been deceased for many years and my grandpa dated his widow until she died in 2003. It was her daughter that was going to throw away the dresser and the victrola.

Whew, that's as clear as mud. cool.gif

Brooke

#14 Guest_chucktoo1926_*

Guest_chucktoo1926_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:28 PM

When my wife Flo and I were in Germany in 89, we went through "Checkpoint charlie" after reunification and vandalizing by angry Berliners. This is a piece of glass from the guard shack;

Sorry; when I find out what they will accept, I will continue
OK here goes

Attached Thumbnails

• glass_from_Checkpoint_Charlie__Berlin_1989.jpg

#15 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:44 PM

Marion, I can't resist it. I have to show one more Italian item(which I've already shown you).
I made a new friend in Italy via my website. He is a re-enactor of WW2 US soldiers. During our short discussions, I mentioned that I was looking for some Italian militaria. Then one day he said he sent me a package. I waited for a week or two and one arrived with an Italian helmet in it. It was not just an Italian helmet but it was his grandfather's helmet and it was in good condition. When I emailed him a Thank You, he asked about the other package. What!?! I waited a few more days and this is what he sent. And he didn't ask for any money---he just sent me it to me for free.

Alpini Hat .................... 6th Alpini Regiment, 2nd Battalion

This style hat was worn by the Alpine or Mountain troops in the Italian Army
(also was worn by Frontier Guards). There were twelve Regiments that were
formed up into six Alpine Divisions; 2 infantry regiments and 1 artillery per division.
DETAILS:
Material: heavy wool, green
Eagle Insignia: bullion thread with a metal "6" in the center. Hats issued during WW2 usually had black wool insignias.
Red pom-pom: Identified the 2nd Battalion.
Crow's Feather: Single feather worn with hat.
Chevron: Rank insignia worn under pom-pom.
Variations: Some had smaller bands or trimmed around edge.
This one has stitches on the brim to stiffen it.

The 6th Alpine Regiment served with the 2nd "Tridentina" Alpine Division.
This division was part of the invasion across the border of France in July 1940,
the occupation of Albania and the campaign in Russia.

Okay, I promise---no more Italian stuff. armata_PDT_09.gif

Steve

#16 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11367 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:48 PM

Hey Custer...

You can show as much of ANY of your stuff. No apologies. This is a WWII forum and as long as you have WWII stuff, continue to share ad nauseum... laugh.gif laugh.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#17 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 02:13 AM

I love looking at the Italian stuff too Steve! If you're looking for some great Italian items look for the Seller zasa on ebay.
I just got a phone call from an antique dealer offerering me a chance to come out to a huge sale one day early (tomorrow). smile.gif I know he's got several American Army WWII uniforms and a bunch of insignias that I will have first shot at...YAHOO!!! laugh.gif If the price is right.....

Jim

ps- Here's a book I recently picked up. It's for soldiers of the SS "Wiking" Division and full of pictures and stories about their "Teutonic Heritage", and assorted Nazi racial BS.

Attached Thumbnails

• 601.jpg

Dogdaddy 1

#18 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:24 AM

Hey Gang,
I picked up a few items at the "sneak preview" flea market this morning, and a few of them have me scratching my head. For instance, I bought a nice WWII Navy? Coast Guard? complete uniform...see what I mean? Aside from the gold buttons the only military insignias are on the sleeves, as shown in the picture. Very nice blue wool double brested blazer and matching trousers...made by Brooks Brothers. Anybody know what rank and/or service that sleeve denotes?

Thanks,
Jim

ps- I also got a nice Summer WWII Army shirt w/sergeant's stripes and 3rd Army insignia, a few caps (seen better days) and nice unit cloth badges for 1st,5th Army and The Big Red One... smile.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0011.jpg

Dogdaddy 1

#19 chambers

chambers

Lt Colonel

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 12 May 2006 - 12:32 PM

Here's the hat my friend brought back from the Gulf war.

Attached Thumbnails

• HPIM0289.jpg

#20 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 03:53 PM

Maps. Maps. I love those maps. And they help with research. I have this one hanging on my wall in my office.

A simple Road Map of Italy Scale 1:1,000,000
Marked: "Prepared under the Direction of Chief Engineers, U.S. Army, 1943"
"Italian Touring Club Map No. 17 used as a base for this map"
"Army Map Service, US Army, Washington, D.C. 1943"

Legend in upper RH corner is in Italian.
Map had evidence of scotch tape residue, probably marking positions of units or ships along the coast.
Map is used for roads and mileage. Some simple topography noted in shades of brown.
Steve

#21 Walt's Daughter

Walt's Daughter

Otherwise known as "M1"

• Admin
  • 11367 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:11 PM

Oh I AM jealous now. I have some modern road maps of France, Belgium, etc., but none yet of North Africa or Italy or Germany.

Some of my buddies have been sending them from Europe. Thanks friends!

Where did you get that one? It's a beauty!!! armata_PDT_34.gif
Marion J Chard

Marion Chard

#22 Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

Dogdaddy

• Members
  • 1025 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 04:37 PM

Here's a map for you map-lovers. It was carried by a member of the British Expeditionary Force at Dunkirk, 1940. It is a map of the Calais area and has many plotted coordinates on it from field use. Made in 1937 by British Ordnance Survey and marked "NOT FOR PUBLICATION".

Attached Thumbnails

• 28526.jpg

Dogdaddy 1

#23 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 13 May 2006 - 07:59 PM

Where did you get that one? It's a beauty!!!

Marion!! I thought you knew me better than that. eBay of course. That is where I have found most of my maps. This one is basically a civilian map but I'm sure it hung on the wall of some commander, somewhere. In N. Africa, the Army in the field had to resort to civilian Exxon(or such?) maps.
S~

#24 Custermen

Custermen

Major

• Members
  • 456 posts

Posted 15 May 2006 - 12:06 PM

Hey, how often do you speak at the school, etc.?

Not as much as I would like to. I really have not done anything at high school since my daughter graduated from there 2 years ago. I don't go to Parent-Teacher Nite and lost my connecitons.
I mainly put up displays at work and the local library. I have one scheduled for the library in November---Month of Veteran's Day. And I may plan to have a lecture one night on "The Forgotten Front: the Italian Campaign". I'll know more when the time gets nearer. It may be nothing more than a 30-minute talk and show some militaria and then answer questions.

Steve

#25 pdhinkle

pdhinkle

deceased

• Members
  • 74 posts
  • Interests:Local senior ctr.volunteer and WW2 history&lt;br&gt;&lt;br&gt;NOTE: I am a low vision user. I use Zoom text to magnify the screen up to 16 times. and a screen reader when it works. I am looking ofr something better for windows XP OS.&lt;br&gt; So excuse my typos. I can correct them by edit when I catch,em. &lt;br&gt; I recommend everyone over 50 use an amsler grid to check their vision regularly. a wavy line on it is the first sign of AMD.

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:43 AM

US Army Maps was/is the job of th corps of Engrs. So when you need maps go to the source.

Jim: The sleeve rank is Navy LT 2 gold stripes and the star should mean supply type. double breasted Blazer was normal wear in Pre- WW2 Navy. DRess uniform.
Paul HInkle
WW2 vet
LM VFW
vision impaired
Senior center Volunteer
Pa. coal cracker
Retired USCS