Walt's Daughter

Willie and Joe

I went back and wrote in all the captions. :pdt34: Do I get "brownie points"? :D

Gilles sent me this one.

post-19-1148641985_thumb.jpg

OPeration Dragoon: Between 15 Aug. and 15 Sep 44 7th Army did a fast run up the Rhone valley. Using every thing available(captuered vehisles).It looked like a Gypsy caravan for some units. I had the honor of riding the front fender of a 6x6 for several days.

I learned from that experience that the driver had an angle iiron manifold heater just right for c-ration cans. with room for about 6 cans on the heater. He used 2 cans one inverted and pushed togerher to heat HIS water for instannt coffee. YOu had to plan ahead for the next meal stop but it worked.

NOw multiply joe and willie by a truck load of GIs. and Imagine a chow stop.

Love it Paul. I CAN picture it my dear friend. Gotta hand it to you guys. Give them a BIG "I" for INGENUITY!!!!!! :pdt34::pdt34:

A great link for even more Willie and Joy on the Stars and Stripes site:

http://www.stripes.com/02/nov02/mauldin/index.html

Seems like there is a slight problem with their page. When you go in and initially click on one of the cartoons on the side, it will display, but if try another one, it just sits there. Found I had to REFRESH the page, and THEN select another. Oops. It can be done, but is a bit frustrating. Think I'll drop them a line about it.

Edited by Walt's Daughter

W'sD:-

This is one of my favorites because of it's authentic value.

The drawing depicts "Fresh(oh yeh!!) Troops taking POWs to the rear!

Wish I could have enlarged it but don't know how.

WillieandJoe-2.jpg

Sgtleo

Marion; there is one that Bill Mauldin made when the 34th divn reached

600 days of combat. I do remember seeing it when I was a bit younger. RJR

Rocky,

I looked through every page of my copy of 'Up Front' hoping to find that picture for you but couldn't see it in there. Here is one of my own favorites: The caption is hard to read in the scan, but here's what it says:

"Joe, yestiddy ya saved my life an' I swore I'd pay ya back. Here's my last pair of dry socks."

post-19-1156193109_thumb.jpg

That Sarge. Even though it is small in size, it exudes the feeling well.

I like that one too Dogdaddy. Glad ya posted it here!

Even though it is small in size, it exudes the feeling well.

that's what I always say! :lol::lol::lol:

:woof:

ehhhh...... :wacko::wacko::wacko:

God, can't take you guys anywhere! :lol::wacko:

Moose sent this to me today. I love it!! :pdt12:

post-19-1162850154_thumb.jpg

Fire for Effect...

Marion; See if you can find two catoons, 1-"This damn tree leaks" and 2- Showing Willie and Joe as old GI's after 600 days of combat, this was remembering the 34th divn. after our days of combat. Rocky

Will do sweetie! Hugs to you. :wub:

Will do sweetie! Hugs to you. :wub:

Love and hugs from this end. Feeling a wee bit better. R-----coon

This Damned Tree Leaks

http://www.tomfolio.com/bookdetailssu.asp?...OKS012755I&m=79

This is a Mauldin Book with his cartoons. The cover features that cartoon.

This Damned Tree Leaks

http://www.tomfolio.com/bookdetailssu.asp?...OKS012755I&m=79

This is a Mauldin Book with his cartoons. The cover features that cartoon.

$95.00 for that book ! My billfold leaks !! Thanks Dear lADY. Rocky

Me thinks my wallet is a-hurting too. YOUCHEEE!

Roque: Save your money. Happens that about a year ago the son of a 3rd Inf Vet

sent me a repro copy of this booklet. (about 150 at least of Maulkins cartoons with that

exact cover). Soon as I am able will repro the book and send it to you. In fact, I am going to contact Mike Wells to see if he still has any more copies left. He sent several

besides mine to other 3rd Inf Vets without any charge.. Nice heavy front and back cover and plastic type binder and 2 cartoons per page. If he has none left I will go to

a place and repro it if you wish but it wont be bound though like his. My scanner is too damn slow to do that much reproducing. Let me know.

Roque: Save your money. Happens that about a year ago the son of a 3rd Inf Vet

sent me a repro copy of this booklet. (about 150 at least of Maulkins cartoons with that

exact cover). Soon as I am able will repro the book and send it to you. In fact, I am going to contact Mike Wells to see if he still has any more copies left. He sent several

besides mine to other 3rd Inf Vets without any charge.. Nice heavy front and back cover and plastic type binder and 2 cartoons per page. If he has none left I will go to

a place and repro it if you wish but it wont be bound though like his. My scanner is too damn slow to do that much reproducing. Let me know.

GO FOR IT JOE!!!!!!!!!! Spare no expence so long as you don''t go over a buck and a half. Just kidding. Roque

Hey Joe, if you have an Office Depot in the neighborhood, you can get a decent binding job done pretty cheap. It'll make it more like a book.

I had my preliminary booklet about my grandpa bound at Office Depot, and it worked out great. I even sent one to my uncle.

By the way, I work at Office Depot, so I know the work is top notch... :pdt34:

Roque: E mailed Mike Wells yesterday (he sent me a copy a year or 2 ago) and here

is his reply: Hi Joe,

I'll print out another copy, bind it and get it in the mail to you next week. There is NO charge! Being able to provide a copy is my way of saying thank you to all those who fought alongside my Dad. As to the binding, I've worked out a deal with the school where I work as a custodian."". When I recieve it I will immediately send it to you

along with his E mail address so you can contact him. Us old dogfaces help each other out. By the way, you owe me a E mail..

And Milsurp: Many hanks for the info. May have to check them out one day.