Caretaker

21st and 824th Engineer battalions

Hello all and thanks for allowing me to come here. My grandfather, Daniel A Bunn, was with Company B, 21st Engineers (Avn) when it was at Langley Field, VA. I've got the company roster and Christmas menu from 1941. He was still with Company B when it was with the 824th Engineer Battalion Aviation (separate) in Iceland. I've got the menu from Christmas dinner 1943 which includes the company roster. He sure liked Christmas dinner! I've also got literally hundreds of photos from various jobs and places both in Iceland and in Europe. My grandfather died in 2010 and never really talked about his experiences and had barely begun giving my father his albums and some of the stories behind them. Some of the photos have descriptions but a lot do not. I'd love to have the opportunity to share them with others who may also be searching and look forward to possibly learning more about the Engineer experience.

Fantastic. Would love to include the photos in the gallery in the near future.

I have a 36th Engineer Christmas Dinner menu. Happy to have it in my collection.

I will eagerly await anything you can share.

Welcome!

I've been scanning til I can't see straight! Right now I'm working my way through his pictures of France. I have several shots of people he served with but the majority don't have names on them. The ones that do are Dobbs, Pagano, Duditch and Kutskid, although I may be mistaken on that last one... my grandfather had horrible handwriting and some of these were written in pencil... ugh! As soon as I can get the rest scanned and in some kind of order, I'll definitely be uploading them. I just wish my aunt and I had gotten the geneaology urge a lot sooner because there aren't many people left in the family who actually remember "back in the day".

Oh man, I know that feeling. Over the course (about 8 years or so), I've scanned literally thousands of photos and documents for this site.

Once a gal got kind of "teed-off" with me, for she couldn't understand why I didn't have more of the STUFF uploaded to the site, for she knew I had more info on her dad's unit. I explained that it was my goal to do so, but I also worked full time, blah, blah, blah and I was doing the best I could. It's only me - one person. Believe it or not, she said I was being kind of selfish (she used THAT word), for they're were hundreds of people out there waiting to get their hands on these documents, etc. Ya, you read that right. Trust me, I was hurt and furious. :armata_PDT_23::armata_PDT_19:

I would love to have everything in my office on the site, nothing would make me happier, but I also have other things in my life which warrant my time and attention. :excl:

Well, I know you know what it feels like trying to get this kind of thing accomplished. A lot of effort goes into it.

my grandfather had horrible handwriting and some of these were written in pencil... ugh! ".

That happened a lot. Ugh, is right! It's days like this when you really wish there was such a thing as time travel! :clock:

Ok, have a few mystery photos in the collection so far. I'd love to see if anyone can identify the object in one photo in particular. Marion, what's the preferred method of posting a photo inquiry? The object is driving me buggy! It appears to be a huge plate of some kind but danged if I can figure it out. Even my nephew wasn't sure. Even though he's only 11, by the time he was 3 he could tell you whether or not a tank was a Sherman, a plane was a B24 and had the jaws of more than one local reenactor dropping to the ground when, at age 5, he went into detail on how to tell an MG 34 from an MG 42! (it's all in the barrel ;) )

I'll have my buddy from Germany, take a look at it. He helped me with my dad's photos, and in fact took a AFTER shot for me in Heidelberg. Just sent him an email. Will let you know.

I`ve seen another photo of that or a similar bridge but from a different angle. The blown out arches on the left are spanned with a bailey. Judjng by the mountain background, it`s probably a Rhine bridge, but could be the Moselle.

See, I was also thinking that it had a decidedly German look to it. Been doing various image searches trying to find it so I'd definitely appreciate the help! Oh, I had mentioned a mystery object so I guess I'd better post it and see what happens!

post-1653-0-19139900-1369598158_thumb.jpg

Close Encounters of the third kind? :pdt12: :pdt12:

Man, hard to tell what it is, for the image is small, but as of this moment, I am stumped!

Got an answer from my friend Karl in Heidelberg! YEAH!

Dear Marion:

Thanks for your mail which i couldn`t answer right away since my computer caught a tough virus that i had removed. the photo you sent is surely German since its my hometown Heidelberg one of the old cities with the first university in Germany from the 14th century a very nice city that even mark twain on his European trip visited and admired. the photo is taken from the north side of the river "neckar" towards the famous castle and the old part of the town. the bridge blown up is the well known " alte brücke" old bridge from the 18th century. the bridge was demolished to stop the American advance on Thursday 29th march 1945, at about 22.00h hours all was over. second photo is a newer one from the hill on the north side, third is a photo after the occupation with two gi`s sitting by the river. last is one from the castle with the blown bridge in the middle. for the moment this is all but i will sent you more Heidelberg photos and the latest news in a couple of days.

best wishes to you and lee

yours

karl

Thank you Karl. You keep shining through! :pdt12: :pdt12:

post-2-0-71513500-1369757243_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-04388500-1369757245_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-47016400-1369757246_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-61942600-1369757247_thumb.jpg

Marion, please send my heartfelt thanks to Karl... I knew it had to be German because of the architecture.. it's nice to be able to know some of the places my grandfather travelled through. I know he arrived in Iceland Jan 25, 1942, was in Reykjvik at first, was in Akurarie on the northern coast of Iceland in August of '42, in Dec '43 he was at Cambler (or Gambler) Pass with the 556th Signal Corps. In his own words, "Left Iceland on the "Emperess of Russia" on May 22, 1944. Landed in Scotland on June 1, 1944. Traveled by rail to Preston England, then to South Hampton and Warminster (sp?). Left England in LCT July 15, 1944, landed on Omaha Beach."

I've got pictures he took in Versailles, St Lo, St Michele, Paris, Courtiles, and near Mortefontaine on the Maginot line. "Left Paris on Nov 5, 1945 in a C-47, landed on Oxford England. Left England from Liverpool on the SS Louis Pasteur on Nov 15, 1945. Landed Brooklyn Nov 25, 1945, reported to Ft Dix, NJ on Nov 26, 1945." He remained stateside until his discharge in 1946.

All of that is from notations he made in his photo albums.

I sent Karl this link, so he will be able to read it himself. Karl is a great friend and has done so much for me, too. Here's to Karl! :waving:

back to the mystery object

Judging by the men in the photo, i`d say its about a 5ft x 6ft oval, looks to be cast concrete.

My guesses:

1. some kind of decoritive mottif that got blown off a building

2. a well cover

3. they discovered the secret entrance to a Foo - Fighter base and they lassooed a FOO.

:pdt12: :pdt12: :pdt12:

I found Larry's link to this thread today and see Jean already missed me :waving:

Here http://www.63rdinfdi...torypage10.html another picture probably from the same point as Karl's Heidelberg_corr.jpg, but with the destroyed Bridge!

Christoph

P.S. Has anybodey else the same problems with the Enter key in this forum? It doesn't work in the WYSIWYG mode, but only in text mode since a few days or weeks.

My first ideas about the mystery Thing: The lines look like Jugendstil ornamentations. If it is, the object would be made at the turn of the century and not Military, perhaps a decoration of a public building, a station? And if it is a Jugendstil object, it might have been in France or Germany, but probably not in Iceland. Christoph

I have deskewed the photo, but...

The Thing in the middle could be a hand grenade, a horn of plenty or a bread in the oven?

Christoph

post-1242-0-05697900-1370297315_thumb.jpg

My friend from Germany had another thought...

dear marion

here is a comment to the other photo on the website. it appearce to me as a base plate of a mortar,however i can not identify its origin. there was an american motar with a caliber of 81 mmm during ww II but it looked a little differnt to me since the photo is also very blur its hard to determine. more heidelberg photos to come

cheers

karl

P.S. Has anybody else the same problems with the Enter key in this forum? It doesn't work in the WYSIWYG mode, but only in text mode since a few days or weeks.

No, not here. Use the entry key all the time and it simply takes me to next line.