• Announcements

• Walt's Daughter

Advertisers   08/12/17

If you would like to advertise on my VI Corps site, please let me know. However, all ads must be directly related to WWII. Are you an author? Are you conducting tours? Are you a researcher? Prices are very reasonable, for aren't we here to benefit each other? Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Viewers, please note, there WILL NOT be giant pop-up ads on my site. Nothing infuriates me more than going to someone's site and having to scroll past obnoxious, in your face ads or ones that are stuck in the middle of articles, forcing you to scroll further down the page to see the rest of the paragraphs. They will be tasteful, appropriately places small banners.
    • Walt's Daughter

New Registrations   09/22/17

Attention New Registrants - Please take a moment to read the section on REGISTRATION. This will inform you regarding the entire process and hopefully answer all your questions. Too often I receive emails either asking why you can't post yet, or I why I haven't approved your membership?  Thank you for your time, M1
    • Walt's Daughter

Happy Thanksgiving to all my peeps!   11/18/17

Dear Peeps!  Just wanted to wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving. I am very grateful to all of you for helping me make this site such a wonderful resource for people all over the world. Could not have done it without your assistance. Much love to all, M1
dustyshelf

293rd Engineer Combat Bn

Does anyone have a history of this battalion? The only information I can find comes from Stanton's WWII order of battle. On-line details are essentially nonexistent. My particular interest is in Company C. Any chance a roster exists? Picked up a "short snorter" signed by about 150 of the men! The most signatures I have ever seen on a single note.

Supposedly, the 293rd ECB participated in the Ardennes Offensive, with Company C at Luxembourg in January 1945. Unfortunately, no details are given as to the whereabouts of the unit in December 1944. One veteran account mentions actual fighting during the Bulge. However, I cannot see this being the case when in Luxembourg. Perhaps he was speaking of December events or he may have been in one of the other companies.

Thanks.

Does anyone have a history of this battalion? The only information I can find comes from Stanton's WWII order of battle. On-line details are essentially nonexistent. My particular interest is in Company C. Any chance a roster exists? Picked up a "short snorter" signed by about 150 of the men! The most signatures I have ever seen on a single note.

Supposedly, the 293rd ECB participated in the Ardennes Offensive, with Company C at Luxembourg in January 1945. Unfortunately, no details are given as to the whereabouts of the unit in December 1944. One veteran account mentions actual fighting during the Bulge. However, I cannot see this being the case when in Luxembourg. Perhaps he was speaking of December events or he may have been in one of the other companies.

Thanks.

I would suggest you contact the National Archives and Records Adminstration (NARA) and ask for the available records from the BN. These records could include a unit history, unit journals and/or After Action Repoerts. The history would provide an outline of the Unit's service. The S-3 journals would provide a message log (and there may be journals from the companies as well); the AAR's provide a monthly summary of activities written for the next higher command. Thee records may also include a variety of miscelaneous reports .

NARA will send you a list of avialalbe units on an invoice, and you can purchase what you want.

theron

Yes, good advice. We have a list of research facilities listed in the RESEARCH SECTION. The contact info for NARA in Maryland is listed there, as well as contacts for the Army Corps of Engineers in Alexandria and at Fort Leonard Wood.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=23

I received (via the assistance of a private researcher) approximately 2000 page of reference material on my dad's unit from NARA in Maryland. WOW!

I also received a great deal of material via the Engineer's Office Of History in Alexandria. They were my FIRST BIG find. You can call or write to them. Please let them know I sent you.

Call or write to Fort Leonard Wood too. I was there earlier this year and they have one hell of a library.

In the interim...

See this post. Notice the last entry. I can put you in touch with Joe Izzillo. His book is almost ready for publication. I will send via private email in a few minutes

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/engforum/index.php?showtopic=6343&st=0&p=34016&hl=293rd&fromsearch=1entry34016

This distinguished unit insignia (DUI) was issued in the 1950's for the battalion. This was very common, for many of the engineer units DID NOT have insignia during the actual war itself.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/293rd-ENGINEER-BATTALION-Army-Pin-DI-DUI-Badge-Crest-/300541132280

http://www.7tharmddiv.org/bulge/index.htm

South of the Southern Shoulder (Luxembourg City and South - before and during the Second Front of Operation Nordwind in Northeast France)

3rd Infantry Division

5th Infantry Division: came north of Luxembourg City and then joined closing of the Bulge

12th Armored Division

14th Armored Division

35th Infantry Division: In attack into Germany until 19 Dec; then transferred 22 Dec to III Corps (with 4th Armored and 26th Infantry Divisions) for attack to relieve Bastogne, after which their 320th Infantry Regiment was then attached to 6th Armored Division to attack the German lines near Bastogne while the rest of the Division countered the German Nordwind attack to the south.

36th Infantry Division

42nd Infantry Division

44th Infantry Division - also see here and here

45th Infantry Division

63rd Infantry Division

70th Infantry Division

79th Infantry Division

87th Infantry Division: 16-24 Dec bitter combat to clear the area between the Saar River and the West Wall; in SHAEF reserve 24-28 Dec and then committed at Moircy, Belgium 30 Dec (see West Southern Shoulder); returned to Luxembourg 15 Jan; captured Wasserbilg 23 Jan; moved 28 Jan to vicinity of St. Vith, Belgium (see North Forward Center)

90th Infantry Division: east of Thionville, France (until 8 Jan 45)

100th Infantry Division

103rd Infantry Division

274th Armored Field Artillery Battalion: (non-divisional) - moved north from vicinity of Thionville, France

293rd Engineer Combat Battalion - Company C in Luxembourg City in January 1945, attached to Gen. Patton's HQ

737th Tank Battalion (Non-Divisional): supported 5th Infantry Division

Hello DustyShelf,

My father was in company C / 293rd Engineer Combat during WWII.

I am certain that my father was one of the 150 soldiers during this time.

His name was Abraham Peress. If so, please let me know.

I just acquired a bunch of photos of my father and many of his brothers during the war.

I would love to know if you have any photos as well. Who knows - my father may have known yours

I just sent DustyShelf a personal message, telling him/her to check out this old post from 2011.

OMG. THANK YOU SO MUCH

has anyone else contacted you about this?

My email address is knightxpress@gmail.com

I also found something that I'm not sure what it is but it could be where my father went while he was with this unit.

Hi, My Granddad, Philip Bozzo was in Patton's 3rd Army under the 293rd Engineers. Here are just a few photo's... I hope this helps some of you.. There is not much information on the 293rd.. He told me many wonderful stories and his fond memories of his service. He built Bailey Bridges after the bridges were blown up.

Stay tuned for more pictures as I up load...

Joanne Bozzo Scichilone

Proud Granddaughter of Corporal Philip Bozzo

post-2361-0-71289200-1422302270_thumb.jpg

post-2361-0-80657000-1422302276_thumb.jpg

post-2361-0-75840500-1422302287_thumb.jpg

Awesome photos and welcome to our forum. I hope you found this post helpful in your quest for more information.

We can make a folder on the Photo Gallery for you grandfather. It would be my honor.

I hope someone in the interim, has requested information on this unit from NARA in Maryland. If anyone has done so, please share with our group. See my advice above dated Dec 11, 2011

New to this wonderful site! My father recently passed at 90 but before he died he asked that I "learn" about his engineer unit and try to find family members of his two best buddies. It was odd because all my life (and I am 60) he refused to discuss anything about his army days. Near death, he said he was in the 293rd Engineer Battalion General Services and he told me where to find some pictures of him and his buddies during the war and training. He had never let on that he had these pictures. Problem is that with his picures were also many of his separation papers. These papers clearly show that he was in Co C. 351st Engineer bn GS. But the pictures he directed me to clearly show 293rd Engineer bn trucks and named barracks type buildings in the background (specifically 2nd Plt, Co B. 293rd). His name is Angelo Manzie and his buddies were George McNeill and George Claussen, In his memory I want to learn all I can about his unit...post-2385-0-15924200-1428423092_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-15924200-1428423092_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-97747800-1428423100_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-85363100-1428423109_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-60084600-1428423116_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-72183500-1428423124_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-64508300-1428423133_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-26525200-1428423155_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-24271100-1428423140_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-64508300-1428423133_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-72183500-1428423124_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-60084600-1428423116_thumb.jpgpost-2385-0-76054700-1428423148_thumb.jpg

Be aware that sometimes men were also shipped home with different units, other than the ones they served with. This is also a possibility.

Please contact Joe Izzilio. He is still living and was with the 293rd. I am sending you his email address in a private forum message.

20 hours ago, Forevrnte said:

Is Joe Izzilio still with us?   I would love to know if he served with my father.

So sorry, Joe passed away in Jan of 2016. He was a great friend and I miss him very much. One of the sweetest and most humblest veterans, I knew.