• Announcements

• Walt's Daughter

New Registrations   09/22/17

Attention New Registrants - Please take a moment to read the section on REGISTRATION. This will inform you regarding the entire process and hopefully answer all your questions. Too often I receive emails either asking why you can't post yet, or I why I haven't approved your membership?  Thank you for your time, M1
    • Walt's Daughter

Research Assistance Donations   11/23/17

Keep this site up and running for current and future generations. If I've been beneficial to your research, please consider making a donation. Every little bit helps to maintain this web and my research costs (i.e. membership fees to Ancestry.com, Fold3 etc.). PayPal Donations
    • Walt's Daughter

The Story of Q Trilogy - Marion J Chard   12/02/17

Completed my tween trilogy! Please share with your family and friends. www.storyofq.com
colinhotham

WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?

I am at present reading WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN? written by TOM CARVER who is the step-grandson of Field Marshal Montgomery. Tom's father Richard Carver was seving with his stepfather General Montgomery in 1942 at his HQ in North Africa when he was captured and transported to FONTANELLATO POW camp, north of PARMA. The book tells of Tom Carver's journey on foot, from the pow camp, south over the Appennines for 500 miles till he found and rejoined the Allied HQ in the winter of 1943.

It is well written and contains photos and maps so might be of interest to you if you have not come across it before.

Colin.

Ah, I had not heard of that one before. Yes, sounds very interesting. 500 miles! My God!

Makes me think of those guys that say they walked across Europe or from the German/Polish border to Moscow and back (1332 miles one way according to Bing maps).