• Announcements

• Walt's Daughter

New Registrations   09/22/17

Attention New Registrants - Please take a moment to read the section on REGISTRATION. This will inform you regarding the entire process and hopefully answer all your questions. Too often I receive emails either asking why you can't post yet, or I why I haven't approved your membership?  Thank you for your time, M1
    • Walt's Daughter

Research Assistance Donations   11/23/17

Keep this site up and running for current and future generations. If I've been beneficial to your research, please consider making a donation. Every little bit helps to maintain this web and my research costs (i.e. membership fees to Ancestry.com, Fold3 etc.). PayPal Donations
    • Walt's Daughter

Uploaded Christmas Music   12/01/17

Uploaded Christmas Music to our WWII Jukebox today. Enjoy! http://www.6thcorpsmusic.us/  
    • Walt's Daughter

The Story of Q Trilogy - Marion J Chard   12/02/17

Completed my tween trilogy! Please share with your family and friends. www.storyofq.com
Jeweler

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member)

3 hours ago, sirgator said:

Thanks, Randy!  I aim to please.  :)  Ponder this... what significance is there in the date on the cancellation stamp?

Later,

Gary

Hmmm... April 18th 1944, let me think here for a moment. That would have been the 2nd anniversary of the daring Doolittle Raid, nope, don't believe that is it. It was a year to the day that Admiral Yamamoto's plane had been shot down by US forces resulting in his death, still don't think that is it. I'm gonna say it is in reference to the bombing incident that occurred on that date in the 292nd CO A billet area, and your grandfather was wounded in this action. I'm I close Gary? Did you ever persue a Purple Heart for him?

Randy

8 hours ago, Walt's Daughter said:

Aw, shucks!  Hope everyone had the chance, though, to read the history behind that poster. Fascinating!

That was a great story and I think about it now when I look at the poster.  Thanks for sharing it, Marion!  :)

Gary

7 hours ago, buk2112 said:

Hmmm... April 18th 1944, let me think here for a moment. That would have been the 2nd anniversary of the daring Doolittle Raid, nope, don't believe that is it. It was a year to the day that Admiral Yamamoto's plane had been shot down by US forces resulting in his death, still don't think that is it. I'm gonna say it is in reference to the bombing incident that occurred on that date in the 292nd CO A billet area, and your grandfather was wounded in this action. I'm I close Gary? Did you ever persue a Purple Heart for him?

Randy

Interesting, but not correct.  Remember, the bombing was in 1945 and the 292nd was still at Camp Butner in 1944.  Now that I check myself I see I kind of screwed up on this... I meant to put the date of May 19th!  What a serious brain freeze!  The bombing did occur on April 18th, but of 1945 so maybe this is what got my lines crossed.  :(  As for the Purple Heart, the only possibility is to get to the St Louis Center to see if there is information about the bombing that could assist in this in unit morning reports. I've never seen the names of the 10 guys lightly wounded in that incident and getting that list would solve for sure if his part in the incident was documented.  Getting there is just not in the cards for me at this time (taking care of my 101 yr old grandmother), but down the road definitely.

Until next time,

Gary

GatesRandall_PostalStamp_Single.jpg

2 hours ago, buk2112 said:

Guess I was too focused on the month and day instead of the year, happens to the best "em. :blush:

So any idea what the significance is of May 19th, 1944?

On 7/6/2017 at 5:59 PM, Sterling's daughter said:

Gary,

I'm back! I'd like to get a copy of the Clear the Way 292d poster, but I can't seem to find your post about how to go about it. Can you refresh my memory?

Lisa

Hi Lisa,

Gary hasn't been on the forum in over two months, have a feeling he is dealing with some personal issues, hope he is ok. Here is the link to the image which you can download and take to your photoshop to be made into a poster. Have a good day!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5ghnJbeN7QkYS1FQ0pTVVNmbGs/view?usp=sharing

Randy

On 4/18/2017 at 0:22 PM, buk2112 said:

20170418_115112.thumb.jpg.3caa551e352654c34a7c57a2836fa955.jpg

Got the poster from the print shop and have it all framed and ready to give to my dad for his birthday. It has turned out great, really pleased with it, will be ordering one for myself sometime. His birthday is on May 10th, can't hardly wait to present it to him, I know he will like it. Big thanks to our forum photo expert Gary for his fine work on this piece, you are a gentleman and a scholar my friend! This has really helped me out too. My dad is hard to buy for because he will never tell you what he wants, if you ask him he will just say, "I don't need anything". This will beat the boring gift card I usually have to settle on and it will be something more personal I know he will appreciate. So thanks again Gary, and thanks to Marion for providing the original image. Have a good day everyone!

Randy

I meant to post this at the time but you know, stuff happens! Gave my dad the "We Clear The Way" poster I had made for his birthday May 10th. I explained to him the history behind the poster and the modifications Gary had made to it. He liked it a lot and was happy to have one. One comment he made about it, he thought the gentlemen (Vincent Leckey) in the poster looked like George C. Scott from the movie "Patton". Which I can see a resemblance, LOL! He has proudly put the poster on display in his barbershop where he has worked for the last 56 years now, the man will just not retire! He has told me that he has received many comments from customers about the poster. Below is a pic the day we gave it to him. Another shout out to Gary for a job well done on the poster ,thanks Gary!

Have a good one everybody!

Randy

Resized_20170513_164944.thumb.jpeg.868e5fcae02e8db73e6cda73ff32fd05.jpeg

That is very cool. Love knowing that it's hanging in his barbershop. Great place for it, for it will get a lot of looks. Wonderful gift! 

I am proud to have this (modern) poster hanging on my office wall. It came from my association with the 36th Combat Engineers Regiment over the last 14 years and attendance at their reunions.

Colin. IMG_1127.thumb.JPG.6c4a2a986f455cfc274b73ecd1eed51b.JPG

Ah, I forgot all about this one. I'm sure it's wrapped up with my several dozen other posters from the reunions. That's a really nice one. 

Wow! Are you going to bid on it?

Boy, time flies. Last time I posted was over a year ago!

There are some things I've been meaning to post for a while, but life keeps getting the way. I thought with Veteran's Day coming up it would be appropriate time.

I still have my father's old Ike jacket and I thought it would be interesting to post some pictures of his patches and ribbons.

The first photo is of the ribbons above the left pocket. From top to bottom, left to right:

1. WW II  Victory ribbon

2. Army Good Conduct ribbon

3. WW II American Campaign  ribbon

The second photo is the honorable discharge patch above the right pocket, also called the "Ruptured Duck" .

"This patch was issued to discharged soldiers to be work above the right pocket flap. This allowed soldiers to wear their uniforms while traveling home and not get ordered around by an officer."

The third photo is the Engineer Special Brigade patch on the left shoulder. 

"The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for the Engineer Amphibian Units on 17 June 1942. It was redesignated for all Army personnel assigned to the following amphibian units: Amphibian Tank Battalions; Amphibian Tractor Battalions; Engineer Amphibian Units; Joint Assault Signal Companies; Headquarters Ships Detachments (Type A); Headquarters Ships Detachment (Type B); Headquarters Section (Army); and Amphibian Training Command - Pacific Fleet on 10 June 1944. The insignia was redesignated for the 1st Engineer Brigade and amended to update the description and add a symbolism on 20 July 2007."

The fourth photo is the 13th Army Corps patch on the right shoulder.

The 13th corps was activated on 12/7/1942 and fought for 180 days in the European Theater of Operations. Wikipedia gives a good history of the corps.
You may have noticed that the patch is swen on upside-down. I got a laugh out of this since my father could sometimes be dyslexic about things like that. I can just hear him saying, "The heck with it. I'm not going to sew it on again!" That is, assuming he is the one that sewed it on, but it wouldn't surprise me.

The last photo is the lower left sleeve which has the three stripes for six months of service each and his private's  stripe.  

IMG_20160921_203323.jpg

IMG_20160921_203533.jpg

IMG_20160921_203422.jpg

IMG_20160921_203519.jpg

IMG_20160921_203450.jpg

The "prodigal son" returns!  :) My apologies folks for the long absence.  Been taking care of my 101 year young grandmother (will be 102 on Thanksgiving) and things have been a bit complicated. So what's new with everybody? Let's get that 292nd fervor back as people pass and information disappears forever.

Randy, glad your Pops liked the gift you gave him.  That poster is wonderful.  Glad I could assist all who have downloaded the image.

Sam, how's our friend from Florida? 

Kent, that jacket is fantastic.  What a family heirloom, my friend!

Marion, I hope the book goes well!

Until next time (and that doesn't mean months from now :) ),

Gary

Always something interesting going on, on the forum. Bravo!

Gary and Kent, always wonderful to hear from both of you. The Ike jacket is priceless!

On an off note, just waiting for my proof copy, Gary. Should arrive any day now. If I am satisfied with cover and interior, then I give the company permission to release the last book in my trilogy. You bet I'm excited!!!

Happy T-Day to all!

I concur with my Missouri friend!  Happy Thanksgiving to all of my 292nd friends and others who I have become uncontrollably linked to by our quest for the knowledge to honor those who served and serve us.  Thanks to all of the help I've received here and to all of those who have contributed.

Until next time,

Gary

Yesterday, December 7th, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of America was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

...No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion, the American people in their righteous might will win through to absolute victory.

-President Franklin Roosevelt, Dec 8th, 1941

WebsiteLogoInstagram0704.jpg

I'm glad you posted this. Here's to all who went through this horrific day! 

5 minutes ago, Walt's Daughter said:

I'm glad you posted this. Here's to all who went through this horrific day! 

Absolutely!  This marked the beginning of a long and terrible road over the next 4+ years.