Jeweler

292nd Engineer Combat Battalion (New Member)

Great words, Gary!

Yes Gary, well said my friend! I don't spend a lot of time on Ebay, but I did happen to spot a panoramic photo of Company C of the 292nd for sale. Seems these type of things have a way of finding me! Anyway, even though I have no family connection to Company C, it is a piece of 292nd history and I couldn't resist having it. It's being shipped as we speak and I'll try and get a photo posted as soon as I receive it.

Randy

Randy, how cool. I bought several engineer related items on Ebay throughout the years. You never know what you will find.

Hello to all When Randy called me about Liza's post my wife and me were packing to move into town and my computer was already packed. Long story short we got moved the internet hooked up today. It's great to see some interest in the 292nd, as Randy said my father was in A co with his grandfather and we are sure that the knew each other. I looked at Gary's photo which is great photo hoping my father was in it but he's not there. I am greatly interested in seeing Lisa's photo. If it is a company photo than all our kind should be in it. that would be really awesome.My father told me of riding home on leave with a follow soldier by the name of Clark, I'm sure that he was Randy's grandfather so I was greatly pleased when Randy and I met on another forum and become friends. I look forward to future post's from you all. Ralph.....

Hey Ralph,

Glad to see you check in with us. Hope you have settled into your new place alright. Don't envy you none, moving is such a chore, done more than my share of that over the years. Thought that one fellow in Gary's picture might have been your dad, sorry it wasn't. Since Gary's grandfather was a mechanic I was thinking maybe it is a motor pool section photo. Do you have any thoughts as to what group the photo might be?

Randy

Randy I would say its a good guess that you are right about it being motor pool. I don't know how many men were in motor pool but would assume it would be platoon size. I'm thinking the man standing on the left would be a LT, the man standing on the right looks to me like a staff sergeant, ..........Ralph

My father was in H&S company's motor pool in the 540th. Your guess about size is correct. Here's a pic of my dad in occupied Germany with his motor pool.

post-2-0-02466500-1455293717_thumb.jpg

Ok, guys,

See the attached photos. The photo of the panoramic is a copy I had made of the original, then I used my iPhone to make a panoramic shot of it. My shot is less than perfect, obviously, but it will give you an idea. By the way, it may appear somewhat distorted but that's because the guys were lined up by height at the back, so the line of heads across the top and the feet across the bottom are not straight, Also, I couldn't hold my iPhone completed straight as I panned the photo. I'll send a second post with a close up of Sterling that I took from within the copy so that you can see the quality, which is consistent across the photo.

I've spoken with the gallery that made the copy, and they are willing to make and mail copies to anyone who wants one, but you'd need their phone number and my name. Since I'm not supposed to give my name here, we'll have to work out those details if you express an interest.

Sterling's Daughter

Ok, guys,

See the attached photos. The photo of the panoramic is a copy I had made of the original, then I used my iPhone to make a panoramic shot of it. My shot is less than perfect, obviously, but it will give you an idea. By the way, it may appear somewhat distorted but that's because the guys were lined up by height at the back, so the line of heads across the top and the feet across the bottom are not straight, Also, I couldn't hold my iPhone completed straight as I panned the photo. I'll send a second post with a close up of Sterling that I took from within the copy so that you can see the quality, which is consistent across the photo.

I've spoken with the gallery that made the copy, and they are willing to make and mail copies to anyone who wants one, but you'd need their phone number and my name. Since I'm not supposed to give my name here, we'll have to work out those details if you express an interest.

Sterling's Daughter

post-2492-0-27702300-1455396594_thumb.jpg

Ok, guys,

Sterling's Daughter

Oh wow, Lisa! Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this treasure! I have never seen this picture before, I'm thrilled, and I know my dad will be too. I definitely will want a hard copy, just tell me what I need to do to make this happen. You can send me the details in a private message if you want. Thanks so much!

Randy

Well Lisa you have knocked my socks off with the Company A panoramic photo, let me see if I can return the favor. A couple of years ago my aunt gave to me my grandfather's address book he carried with him during the war. I checked this book and would you believe it, your father-in-laws name is included in it. I'm certain your father-in-law wrote this in himself because my grandfather was left handed and this is not his handwriting. I'm attaching an image of the page. How cool is this?

Randy

post-2432-0-53997700-1455399811_thumb.jpg

Again, I am so thrilled to see this entire exchange!!!

Oh wow, Lisa! Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this treasure! I have never seen this picture before, I'm thrilled, and I know my dad will be too. I definitely will want a hard copy, just tell me what I need to do to make this happen. You can send me the details in a private message if you want. Thanks so much!

Randy

Lisa, what a great contribution!! Again, I echo Randy in letting you know my desire in getting a hard copy and would welcome a personal a message to let me know how to proceed. I can't tell you how happy I am that you have found our little merry band of 292d historians and hardcores. As I am sure everyone here agrees, anything that anyone has, finds or acquires will be welcome addition to our continued correspondence.

Thanks so much to Randy and Ralph and to all the others who have contributed. And a hearty Thanks to Marion for creating a space for all of us to be able to share the information that we have concerning these patriots. Individually we all have a just little info, but together we have a wealth of information that could only begin to be compiled because Marion wanted to honor her our own father. Thanks so much for this!

As they say, there is strength in numbers. Our fathers, grandfathers and uncles are all proud of our joint efforts! We are keeping the history alive and educating the generations!

Awww, you know how to make a girl blush. Thank you for your vote of confidence. I feel lucky to have ALL of you in my life.

Lisa.... ..Great photo of A co. you can count me as to wanting copy, just let me know how to go about getting a copy. Randy told you of finding your father in laws name and address. He also found my fathers name and address in his grandfathers address book so that could mean that my father and you father in law also maybe knew each other. That we will never know for sure Ralph

As they say, there is strength in numbers. Our fathers, grandfathers and uncles are all proud of our joint efforts! We are keeping the history alive and educating the generations!

Well said, Marion! Short and to the point and very eloquent. Thanks to all of you and I hope with all that we have in common relating to keeping the spirit and sacrifices of these men alive and documented that I can count you all as true friends. :)

Hey Gary: I noticed that you are a photographer. Very cool. Lee and I used to have our own darkroom when we lived in Detroit. That was so much fun. Now everything is digital. I started off the old-fashioned way. Still have all our old SLR's and and even a twin-reflex Rollei. That camera took the most beautiful photographs. The last time i used it was to do a photo shoot for a ten-year old girl, years ago and the images were so sharp. Nothing beat it.

Still saving up to buy a DSLR. Right now just using a run of the mill digital Canon, but it gets me by until then.

Anyway, don't want to get too off the beaten track, but wanted to address that.

HI Marion,

Do you happen to have the e-mail address of Pete Belmonte, the gentleman that started this thread. If you do would you , being the kind lady that you are, mind dropping him a line and see if he would like to come in and join us? He has not been on the forum in a long time, but I'm betting dollar to donuts that if he knew of all the folks and info that is gathering here on the 292nd he would be most interested. Thanks Marion for all that you do.

Randy

No guarantees, but I just sent him an email. Hope it goes through. Let's see what happens.

Signed,

Kind Lady

Hey Pete!

Welcome to the party buddy, glad you could make it! Counting you, I believe we now have six 292nd researchers on board Marion"s ship here, which is way cool. See you are retired Air Force, thank you for your service to our country. I read your Italian Americans book a few years back, kudos, enjoyed it. See you have written another work, I'll have to check that out. I have not received the Company C photo as of yet but am expecting it any day. I will definitely get it posted to the thread when I do. I'm in the process of sending all the 292nd documents to Gary the photog wizard, who is going to scan them and make them easily available to everyone. Who knows, maybe with all the materials, photos, and oral histories etc. everyone is contributing here it might be the makings of another book(hint,hint). Glad you joined us Pete, look forward to more correspondence with everyone. Thanks Marion for contacting Pete, your a gem!

Randy

Welcome back Pete. What a treat. This thread has now gone full circle. So glad that your email was still functioning. I was surprised to hear back from you so quickly. :waving: