civilwargal

1251st Engineers

Hi there!

This is my first post. My dad Sgt George Kubeck was a combat engineer in WWII. He was part of the 1251st Engineer Combat Battalion. I'm trying to find anything on the battalion. What Brigade, Division or army were they part of? My dad's records were part of the group lost in the St. Louis fire. I figured out that he was part of the 1251st by reading the back of some pictures. The Army historian was able to find only one piece of documentation listing where they were stationed for training, when they went to England and then to France. At least I know that they existed. I would appreciate any, and I mean any info that you might have encountered. When I googled it, I found several obits listing that they were members of the unit.

My dad was lucky enough to go back to Germany during the seventies on business. He managed to find the spot where they had put a bridge over the river and got to stand on the bank. He never really talked about his time in the Army, but I did ask him how it felt to go back and stand on the same spot all those years later. His response was "It was really nice to stand there without someone shooting at me".

Thanks for your help

Darlene aka Civilwargal.....

Hi there Darlene:

So nice to have ya here! Let's see...

1251st Engr (Combat) Bn (WWII)

Mr. Bernard E Ernst 920-734-6681

543 S Chain Dr

Appleton WI 54915-1437

Part of 9th Army -

http://www.geocities.com/twofortyforth/9thto.htm

Will look for more later, but it's a start!

I realize this thread is a few years old, but here's what I have - a photo from camp Top Hat of some of the 1251st. My late cousin, Veto Fontana, was in the 1251st. He has the arrow pointing at him in the photo. I understand he later was posted at Hitler's Eagle's Nest for some duration of time.

vito_unit.jpg

vito.jpg

Ken

Just so people don't think I'm ignoring the "newbie", I did reply to another post of kc7451's, earlier today. :armata_PDT_01: :armata_PDT_01:

My father Leon Lipschitz was in the 1251st Combat Engineers Battalion. Here is a picture of the platoon he was in and some other pictures. If you know locations, which company it was or the names of his fellow comrades; it would be appreciated. Dad changed his name after the war to Leon Lipten.

post-1602-0-31725300-1357241848_thumb.jpg

post-1602-0-88082000-1357242108_thumb.jpg

post-1602-0-21241000-1357242414_thumb.jpg

I am always thrilled to see new pictures. I'd also like to put these on the photo gallery page, if that is alright with you.

Happy New Year and welcome to the forum.

Oh, when I do post these, what last name should I use for the folder? Before or after? :pdt12: I can make a note too.

Just uploaded the pics. Did some clean-up too, so hope you like the re-touched photos. Made a big difference on unit image. I'm sure I can do even better, but not too bad for a few quick moments...

Look in the Photo Gallery under his name.

http://www.6thcorpscombatengineers.com/imagevue/?p=gallery#/content/start/

I found something about the 1251st Engineers, quiet new, perhaps for you, too:

http://easthamptonstar.com/?q=Opinion/2012502/GUESTWORDS-Bridge-May-8-1945

Christoph

Just starting to read it. Will finish tomorrow, for it's getting late and I have to get to bed. Sounds wonderful so far and very interesting. Thanks!

Oh, BTW, got a few 1251st veterans back together this week. I was so excited to be part of this. What an honor!

Just read it to end. I'm lucky that he wrote about Shelly and not acGeorge, Veto or Leon. :rolleyes:

Christoph

We have another veteran - Dick Deice. He signed our guestbook recently and I added him to the 1251st group and sent a round of emails this week, introducing him to the other members. What a thrill.

Sometimes I have to remind myself, how this site brings people together, whether it be vet to vet or sons and daughters. It's great to see this happen, time and time again. That's what life is all about, Charlie Brown!

charlie-brown-valentine2.jpg

Oh btw, Dick is in the group photo posted on Jan 3. He is back row, fourth from left.

My father Leon Lipschitz was in the 1251st Combat Engineers Battalion. Here is a picture of the platoon he was in and some other pictures. If you know locations, which company it was or the names of his fellow comrades; it would be appreciated. Dad changed his name after the war to Leon Lipten.

Hi there!

Sorry it took so long for me to respond. That is Company B of the 1251st. I think my dad George Kubeck is the Sargeant standing in row 2 with his cap at a jaunty angle. (One Easter I had a long discussion with my cousins about which one he was"His friend Dick Deise is behind him with the dapper little mustache. Everyone in the unit seems to have a photo with the Pacific Bound sign. The 1251st was instumental in building Camp Tophat, one of the "cigarette camps" named for Brittish cigarettes and to be used to either send to the Pacific or home. The 1251st built the chapel at the camp.

Oh very cool. I will add his name to photo, right now. Isn't it great how pieces of info coming filtering in. Love the "dapper little mustache"! :pdt12:

Okay looking at pic right now. Are you talking about the guy standing next to Deice with helmet at angle? Want to make sure I am getting it right.

The guy in front of the guy with the rakish helmet. My dad (if it is my dad) is wearing a soft cap and has sgt stripes that you can barely see.

Oh very cool. I will add his name to photo, right now. Isn't it great how pieces of info coming filtering in. Love the "dapper little mustache"! :pdt12:

Okay looking at pic right now. Are you talking about the guy standing next to Deice with helmet at angle? Want to make sure I am getting it right.

Okay according to Dick:

Marion, I am not sure your banner over "Lippy's" photo of Pacific Bound is correct. I am sure he did not have enough 'points' to be returned back to the US at that time. The sign was probably made for those being processes at Camp Top Hat, Antwerp, to be sent out of Europe.

Regarding the pictures. They represent the people of Company 'B', Third platoon and I cannot remember the Squad.

About the group picture using me as the guide - The man to my right is Raymond Manning, to my right is Leroy Chronister, just in front of me to my left is Leon 'Lippy' Lipschitz, the third in from the left side of the photo to the rear is Thomas Thomas. I am fairly sure that these named men were all in the same squad.

There was a guy named George H. Kubeck, of Wallingford, CT in the same platoon. I am not sure if he is in the photo. You can get his identity from his daughter Darlene

cleardot.gif

I also thought the guy in front of him to the left was Leon too, for he is in other pictures in the gallery.

Okay, I sent the photo to Dick and told him to view it as "looking at the photo" from left to right. Want to make sure I am getting this right, before I tack names up on the gallery.

Okay, here is corrected list for photo! Many thanks!

Marion. I realized I had two 'rights' in my prior ID. As you requested - left #1, unknown; left #2 - Harry Alvord [i think]; left #3, Raymond Manning; #4 - me, Richard T. Deise; #5, a little to the front of me - Leon "Lippy" Lipschitz; #6 - Leroy Chronister; #7-Thomas Thomas.

To your knowledge, are any of these,

besides me, still living?

I have a complete listing of all the people of Company 'B' with names and addresses[when they joined the military] if you would like them. As a matter of fact, the entire battalion.

I have a copy of the "The Annual manual EM-1251" This was a picture book of the units history from activation at Camp Swift Texas 30 December 1943 to compliation date on 1 Sept 1945 at Camp Tophat by a publisher in Antwerpen

If there is interest and no objections I will try and get the book scanned and then send or publish on the web site if people are interested.

I had no luck finding this book in any library including the Army Engineers history library. probably assembled and sold or given to the men at the time they started heading stateside.

Marion,

Thought you and some others may be interested in this 2-1/2 Guilden note I found inside my father's 1251st Annual Manual. As I mentioned before, I have the complete book in fantastic condition (cover attached). When I get some time I plan on scanning the entire book which starts out at Camp Swift right here in Texas where I now reside.

My father, Lt. Philip W. Lett was platoon leader of 1st Platoon, C Company, 1251st Combat Engineers. He is in the middle of the front row in one of the attached pictures. On the back of this note, he wrote down all of the places that his unit went throughout England, Belgium, Holland, France and Germany. Please feel free to share this with anyone who is interested.

I really enjoyed reading all of the history about your father, especially the part about where he was born - Detroit. I was also born in Detroit at Grace Hospital, but many years later. I also saw that he was at Fort Custer, named after General George Armstrong Custer, who grew up in Monroe, Michigan - not too far away.

I am a collector of WWII artifacts and still have my father's uniforms in perfect condition, his German sword, daggers, medals, patches, etc and they are priceless to me. Dad also took a camera with him into combat and I have a box full of black and white slides from many of the battlefields.

Anyways, I just wanted to share some of this with you and wish you a very Merry Christmas!

Warmest regards,

Philip Warren Lett

Fairview, Texas

post-2-0-99595800-1389713808_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-90574400-1389713816_thumb.jpg

post-2-0-09367000-1389713822_thumb.jpeg

post-2-0-27837000-1389713829_thumb.jpeg