• Announcements

• Walt's Daughter

New Registrations   09/22/17

Attention New Registrants - Please take a moment to read the section on REGISTRATION. This will inform you regarding the entire process and hopefully answer all your questions. Too often I receive emails either asking why you can't post yet, or I why I haven't approved your membership?  Thank you for your time, M1
    • Walt's Daughter

Research Assistance Donations   11/23/17

Keep this site up and running for current and future generations. If I've been beneficial to your research, please consider making a donation. Every little bit helps to maintain this web and my research costs (i.e. membership fees to Ancestry.com, Fold3 etc.). PayPal Donations
    • Walt's Daughter

The Story of Q Trilogy - Marion J Chard   12/02/17

Completed my tween trilogy! Please share with your family and friends. www.storyofq.com

453rd Engineers Depot Company

My Grandfather, Cpl. George Johnson from Illinois was with the 453rd Engineers/Depot Company during the occupation of Japan. I'm looking for anyone who knew him. Any information regarding this unit is greatly apprciated. Thank you.

A warm welcome to our site and our forum. I'm glad to see you posted your info here for all to see. Have you looked at our research section yet? I'm sure you'll find a lot of interesting links and connections. You never know where your next tidbit of info will come from.

Good luck in your research and if I can be of any assistance, please let me know. We have a lot of knowledgeable people here who are very helpful and friendly to boot! :D

Could I ask how you found this site? Thanks.

Hello Eric,

My father was in the 453rd Engineer Depot Company in Yokohama as well. Dad passed away last year, so I don't know if he knew your grandfather or not, but odds are he did. I am looking for any information on this unit as well. If you have any information to share it would be most appreciated.

Thanks and Take Care!

A recent email to me about the 453rd from Randolph Watkins. Thank you everyone.

Nov 2017

Edwin Randolph Watkins, my father, was assigned as a crane operator and supply clerk in the 453red Engineer Depot Company from 17 June 1942 until 8 July 1944 when he was transferred to the 29th Port Surgical Hospital.

I am trying to locate more detailed information about the 453rd for a possible article about the unit, initially for distribution to my family and for possible publication.

I remember him talking about Milne Bay, Wewak, Wadke Island, Hollandia and other locations in the New Guinea area.  I'm particularly interested in what ships the company was embarked as it moved from place to place and island to island.  I have some notes from a navy yeoman who served in USS LST 466 that participated in landings at places my father mentioned.  I'd like to see if there is any connection.