• Announcements

• Walt's Daughter

New Registrations   09/22/17

Attention New Registrants - Please take a moment to read the section on REGISTRATION. This will inform you regarding the entire process and hopefully answer all your questions. Too often I receive emails either asking why you can't post yet, or I why I haven't approved your membership?  Thank you for your time, M1
    • Walt's Daughter

Research Assistance Donations   11/23/17

Keep this site up and running for current and future generations. If I've been beneficial to your research, please consider making a donation. Every little bit helps to maintain this web and my research costs (i.e. membership fees to Ancestry.com, Fold3 etc.). PayPal Donations
    • Walt's Daughter

Uploaded Christmas Music   12/01/17

Uploaded Christmas Music to our WWII Jukebox today. Enjoy! http://www.6thcorpsmusic.us/  
    • Walt's Daughter

The Story of Q Trilogy - Marion J Chard   12/02/17

Completed my tween trilogy! Please share with your family and friends. www.storyofq.com
Walt's Daughter

284th Engineers

John McAuliffe sent this to me:

--------

Dear Marion:

Clarance A. Bachand of the 284th Combat Engineers writes:

Seen here is the longest Bailey Bridge in the ETO(294ft.).

It was constructed across the Roer River at Winden , Germany

March 4-5 in 19 hours. by "C" Company 284th Cmbt Engrs.

under moderate artillery fire.The principle of "breaking" the bridge

was used here for the first time in combat; that is; the use of intermediate supports.

Clarance A. Bachand

Charlton, MA

post-6-1142296974_thumb.jpg

9-8-2017 Wish I could retrieve this photo. I will try. Marion

Edited by Walt's Daughter

Mikel:

Posting this here for you. Got your email tonight. Welcome to the forum. You wanted to know if I am in contact with Clarence. I can write to John and see if he is still in touch with Clarence.

Thanks Marion!

Another grandson of the 284th managed to find Clarence. They had a good conversation this morning and he will be heading out to visit with him tomorrow! There are three still alive from the unit and they have a reunion every year. We're going to attempt to attend it this year!

I have many many photographs from C Company 284th that I'd love to share for your gallery. Steve also has many of his grandfather's photographs and we will see what we can possibly scan from Clarence's collection.

Mikel

Mikel:

What grand news! Happy to hear all this. And yes, would love to upload the photos to our gallery. Let me know.

Can't wait to hear what transpires with the visit. :pdt12: :pdt12:

I spend a hour talking to Clarence on the phone last night! It was great to talk to him and we are planning to get together later this month! When I first found this site I was baffled that the images posted in this thread are images that I have the originals too! Well, after speaking with Clarence last night the mystery is solved! My dad sent him a ton of stuff from the war many years ago. Including all the negatives of the images that he took!

I imagine that he has many images that I don't have (I seem to remember seeing some pictures when I was a kid that aren't in the pile anymore) so hopefully he can find the negatives and I can get brand spanking new fresh (and probably higher resolution) prints of them! Its so exciting!

Fantastic.So glad you were able to touch base. So pleased to hear all this. Can't wait to hear what transpires next. Keep me in the loop!

Hi! Sorry that I've been a bit MIA in this thread. I just wanted to update you to let you know I'm currently working on 284thcombatengineers.com! It is slowly coming online. I only really have information on C company (I do have rosters for the other companies though) so if anyone can give me information / images / documents on the others companies that would be great! The site is still in its early stages but I'm happy with the progress so I hope that people come to visit it!

Great news. Always glad to hear there will be yet another engineer site online. :waving:

Oh do I know THAT feeling? When I started off I thought, well do a bit of research and...

Well, here I am nine years later and I am busier than ever.

Good luck and thanks for your perseverance! Going to look right now.

http://284thcombatengineers.com/

Nice, nice! It's coming together. How exciting huh? I see you gave our site a plug, thanks! I will place a link to your site, from the main site in a couple of minutes. Welcome to the fold.

Okay, it's done. Also gave you a plug on my Facebook page.

The 284th's annual reunion is coming up! I thought it best to post it here as well as on the 284th's website just in case word hasn't spread enough yet.

284th Engineer Combat Battalion Annual Reunion!

The 284th Engineer Combat Battalion will hold its annual reunion on:

November 1-2-3, 2013

Location: Best Western Mainstay Inn Newport, Rhode Island 02840

Please call: 1-401-849-9880 to make reservations

Remember to tell them that you are with the 284th Engineers!

Cost should be $55.00 + tax per night

I have posted a lot of After Action Reports as well as some very detailed reports on the 284th's website. Some of them are by the hour and super interesting to read! I've hired the researcher Geoff (he posted in one of the other forums on here) to pull the rest of the AAR's from the National Archives for me! They really are fascinating reads!

I also received a whole photo album for C Company so I will be adding a lot more photos to that section. I really really need photos and documents for H&S, A and B Companies though....

http://284thcombatengineers.com/documents/index.cfm

Great job!!!! So pleased to hear this. It's a lot of work, but oh so gratifying when you see all the hard work come to fruition.

I've posted a 42 minute video of C Company 284th Combat Engineers in basic training at Camp Breckenridge on the website! Amazing amazing stuff!

http://284thcombatengineers.com/documents

It is a large file so I'd suggest starting a download and walking away (my webserver is an old computer sitting by my feet under my desk at home). But wow! I imagine a lot of folks would be interested to see this since I hear that it is rare to find basic training videos!

Night patrols were no picnic. For instance, Sgt. Ganss brings up a ticklish situation. "When a squad of men are situated on one river bank and the opposite bank is hostile a dead phone isn't quite the same as a dead phone back home, visions of enemy patrols are never completely forgotten on a dark night as eleven men wait silently in a building while two of their comrades check wire in the dark. If the trouble is mechanical it may take some time to find it. If not "Jerry" will kindly stand by and show you where he has cut the wires. Getting back to your squad in such a case is quite rare." Sgt. Ganss' trouble was mechanical so he and his boys got off with sweating it out until the trouble was found and repaired.

WHOA! Just the thought if it scares me. I am glad I never had to be in that situation.

As I've been telling the story of the 284th on Facebook I posted this map. I asked one of the guys from the unit about the V Bomb marker on the map as I wasn't familiar with this event. I also made the wrong assumption that it was a V2.

post-1660-0-27521200-1391621723_thumb.jpg

Here is some information about it from the Recon Officer of the unit:

No, it was a V1 that hit somewhere near Delamere Park. I was in my bunk in a small building sharing space with about three other officers of the Battalion. The V1, unlike the V2 made noise passing overhead. The time to worry was when it went silent. That meant it was coming down on you. Now, we heard this small outboard motor like sound pass overhead. Then, after it had passed over only a short time went by before it went silent. The next thing I knew I was blown out of the cot, sliding across the room on the floor ending by the wall under a cot. Nobody was hurt, A wild experience. We never had another.

Whoa man, too close for comfort. That is a very scary thought. Thank God everyone made it okay. Talk about being shook up, literally!

Yesterday's I posted on the Facebook page a 45 minute video of the guys in basic training, some footage sailing over to the ETO on the Marine Raven and some bridge training in England. Here it is!

Very cool! Training videos can be very entertaining! Can't wait to watch the whole thing.

When I did the first part of my documentary, chapter one was dedicating to training, so got to browse through a lot of footage.